The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help!

Stonkin

Well i got it home last night with a jump start. Didnt switch the alarm on and left it over night. This morning it is dead again. All the dash/boost controller comes on when turning the key, when its started it doesnt make any clicks like before with starter motor, maybe just one fairly loud heavy one then all the lights on dash go out, nothing at all, doesnt even turn over. If you turn the key again nothing comes on at all :(

its brand new. I bought a new one a couple of months back. When i first had the clicky start problem, i took the new battery off (which had been running the car fine for 2 or 3 weeks) and charged it up as i wasnt aware of the starter contact issue then. It took only 15 mins to charge, put it back on and still clicky clicky. So i thought the new battery was duff and took it back to shop (they told me it was 98% full and i was an idiot basicly) So i walked out with a replacement battery :)

Fitted, still clicking. That was when i discovered the starter contact issue, which was fixed the other night. The old ones fell out in bits!

And thats the story so far. Now the battery that used to be in the car was very small, think Charlie chose it for weight reasons. I was aware that a slightly more beefy battery was recommended, but due to space reasons and the BOV being slighly in the way in the battery area i could still only get a smallish battery. It was rated higher than the one that was in it, off the top of my head i know one of the values is rated at 360 which i believe is a bit small, but it should still be more than enough to start the car, the old one (when car was bought) used to start fine all the time, it was only an issue if left for over a week and a half. It went flat several times and i recharged it, that was when i thought i may be better replacing it.

Aah. Sorry mate.

I remember, when I got the car, the alarm would drain the battery within a week if not driven. I got a new battery and it lasts a fair bit longer now.

How long was the drive after jump starting it? Scrub that. I think you have a major drain somewhere and I don't know how to find those. Or a loose earth. :( Hope someone can sort it soon bud. It is a lovely car you have. :)

Cheers Andy, PS, its not the one in my garage if you have looked there :)

Drive home after jump starting was about 15 miles on the motorway, should be more than enough to start it today.

I think i need to get a multimeter. Im not great with using one of these at all, would anyone be kind enough as to explain what and how i can go about testing things. Ie, what do i set the multimeter to, where do i put one lead and where do i put the other and what readings should i be looking to find.

Or you could say, just take the car somewhere if you dont know what your doing :) but that bits a bit tricky and im sure it should be fairly obvious for me to provide some basic information up here on certain electrical areas which might resolve the issue.

any advice appreciated..

Do you have a sub and amp?

If so are these installed properly?

have you taken you stereo out yet?

If you have a major drain thats where i would start.

With the multimeter the cables are colour coded, but if you can get it started with a starter pack, go somewhere like national tyres that do battery testing or any garage,

ask nicely and they will prob let you use it or do the test for you.

What you are looking for is the amps and volts.

the test will see if there is enough amps in the battery aswell as volts.

You may find out that your alternator isnt pumping enough out to power the car or recharge the battery.

Also when the engine is switched off you will be able to see if there is a drain as it will show.

If i was closer mate i'd come and help you out and try and solve the problem

And thats the story so far. Now the battery that used to be in the car was very small, think Charlie chose it for weight reasons. .

Cheers Andy, PS, its not the one in my garage if you have looked there :)

Sorta guessing that it's Charlie from Dorset ;). Love his cars. :)

I think i will possibly put the battery onto charge so i know its full. See if it starts, and then take the diagnosis from there. Just dont want to bugger this battery as its had a bit of a hard life in the 2 weeks ive had it :)

Dont you just hate being at work when you have stuff to do :)

Well last night i went out to remove the battery to charge it up for the w'end. On the off chance thought i would try it first and it fired up first time. Infact i switched it on and off 3 times and all was fine. Came back out an hour later as girly needed picking up from a night out and started fine again.

Considering she expected me to pick her up in the Alfa, the journey home was a bit more interesting for a drunk person :D

Apparently its not the speed that bothers her, its the neck jolt as you let off from 1.4 bar :D

Anyway, will try car again later, not sure what is going on now...

Well last night i went out to remove the battery to charge it up for the w'end. On the off chance thought i would try it first and it fired up first time. Infact i switched it on and off 3 times and all was fine. Came back out an hour later as girly needed picking up from a night out and started fine again.

Considering she expected me to pick her up in the Alfa, the journey home was a bit more interesting for a drunk person :D

Apparently its not the speed that bothers her, its the neck jolt as you let off from 1.4 bar :D

Anyway, will try car again later, not sure what is going on now...

:D Got a lovely image from that. Haven't been in a 1.4 bar car so I've used some imagination. :D

Well the terminals are connected very tight. Will take them off at w'end and give the connections a clean up, just incase. But it shows the battery is not being drained, must be fairly full to start 3 times straight away then an hour later as well. It did worry me whilst flying down the M4 it would cut out :) But its never died whilst using it, just dead before you start :)

Turned out to be a dodgy negative connection. When it wouldnt start, if i woggled the cable it would start :)

I cleaned up all the connections with a wire brush and also the main earth going to chassis from battery. This was covered in rust, wet leaves and general muck. Got it nice and shiny and sprayed in wd40. Starts instantly :)

Cheers