The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Trouble...

Nic

I hope someone can help me with this weeks problem as I'm really loosing my faith in my Supra at the moment!

When accelarating from tickover I am only managing to boost to about 1bar (this has dropped from 1.25-1.3bar) I can feel both turbos coming on line as normal but the power has dropped considerably. The next strange thing that is happening is that if I am cruising at say 5000rpm and floor it, it will only boost to 0.5bar and the car just feels really flat power wise, almost as though only one turbo is spooling up.  

I have replaced my plugs in the last few days with HKS (35's) as I was getting missing at high boost. Could this be the reason for the boost loss?

I have also had to disconnect my RLTC a couple of days ago, as for some reason it was only sending a signal to 5 injectors so one was not firing.

FYI my engine spec is:

HKS EVC (set to 1.25bar)

Greddy FCD

RLTC (disconnected at the moment)

HKS Iridium Plugs

ARC Exhaust (no cats)

HKS Cams/Pulleys

HKS R-Type FMIC

Please someone help....

thanks

have you checked the obvious like all the piping on the engine bay?

Right from the big air hoses to the small pipes that go to the solenoids?

Don't just look at them and give a little tug. Actually remove as many as you can, inspect carrefully for splits. Replace and check that they are on tight and don't rotate/wiggle about.

I suspect it's a split in a hose thats getting bigger. Trouble is the splits always close up when not under boost so they are hard to spot. Best to try to flex the pipe a little to try to open it up.

If it was a broken solenoid (VSV) then you'd have the same effect no matter if you started from 0mph or from a rolling start at 5000rpm!

Also check your recirculation valve (the internal blow off valve), that's the thing between the turbos on the top of the engine. Two short pipes about 3->4inches long and about 1inch thick and one tiny 4mm  diameter pipe. Take this unit off and try to blow through on of the large ports. If you can it's nackered.

If you have a seconary HKS BOV or something you can likely just plug up the old bov capping the ends of the pipework.

You really need to check all piping carefully and make 100% sure that they are all secured tightly. Air can escape from the smallest of holes and if all pipes are loosing just small amounts of air that can mean a high accumulated loss of pressure overall.

Pete

defently a boostleak, check all the fmic piping connections.... I had 2 time a year the same trouble till I bought 5mm samco silicon adapter hoses and t- clamps for the fmic piping.

hope it helps.

p.s.:it could be possilbe that your bov is leaking........

Thanks guys you were right, one of the small pipes to the rear left of the engine had blown off. It is now secured with a cable tie and I now have full power back. I've also got the RLTC reconnected and all is running sweetly.

cheers