The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time Attack on Motors TV

Paul Whiffin

Yes, just wondered if you ever compare your times with any race series at the tracks you drive on and are ever tempted to have a go in one ?

Near us at Castle Combe, we have a "Special GT" series that has a mixture of cars (inc a mk3 Supe having a go last year).

What's the attraction of Time Attack ? is it the "non contact" aspect or something else ?

We've compared the times against Nippon Challenge, our RX7 was about 4 seconds(from memory) a lap faster than the fastest car in Nippon at Snetterton. And about on par with LMA series leaders and there on slicks. The Supra's would do pretty well in both series as well.

We are currently weighing up our options for next year as to what we're doing with all 4 cars.

Time Attack is great if you want to just turn up in what you drive on the street, its then really up to you how hard you push it. I did the last 2 rounds at Brands and Snetterton and loved it, its still competing at the end of the day and when I had a good result at Snetterton I really felt like I achieved something. Highly recommend it.

I'm still thinking about having a go for 1 round next year.

I'd probably do Silverstone as it's closer than the other tracks and I went to spectate this year, whereas Donington is the only other track nearish to me but it's combined with that uber chavvy event (I forget the name) I'd rather avoid!

I wouldn't worry too much about the events TA is attached too. The TA cars are in the pits or on track, and you arrive before the spectators, and leave after the spectators. So apart from lunchtime you don't get all that much chance to mingle with the riff raff ... plus Donnington is more fun that Silverstone :-) If you want a great circuit - Knockhill is the one that does it for me :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the events TA is attached too. The TA cars are in the pits or on track, and you arrive before the spectators, and leave after the spectators. So apart from lunchtime you don't get all that much chance to mingle with the riff raff ... plus Donnington is more fun that Silverstone :-) If you want a great circuit - Knockhill is the one that does it for me :-)

Its a bit of a distance though! Be quicker to go to the Nurburgring!