The mkiv Supra Owners Club

All New Japanese Magazine

Gaz Walker

Nothing like that over here in germany :/ Just mags with kitted Fiestas, 320 BMWs and these things...

And in the import mags they rave about ground led lights and these things...

Tell me bout it...same story here in Norway too...

Scary Steve......thought I recognised the name. I used to buy Fast Car every month as it was miles better than Redline and MuppetPower.

But that was in my younger days. Having moved from a Fiesta to Celica 140 2 years ago I waited in anticipation for the French Celica article but was bowled over by the amount of nonsense in the article.

"500bhp Veilside Celica" was somehting like what the front cover promised. But upon reading the article it was mentioned that the owner was only going to buy a turbo for the car that was capable of producing 500bhp.

The Celica has an aluminium engine and will never produce that amount of power. Even the F1 Celica had a 3S-GTE engine in it to make 500bhp.

Yes I have seen the Turbo Celica in this months Jap Performance, but it only makes around 210bhp.

Fast Car's ony saving grace was that it had the sexiest naked women in it. But I'll buy Men Only or something else if I want to look at that kind of thing.

Putting 20" alloys and a huge metal wing on an RX7 really was the final nail in the coffin for me. Totally ruined what was a nice car. It just got far too silly.

Here's hoping this new Jap mag will come even slightly close to being the qaulity of Jap Performance and not just another show car mag like Banzai.....which I suppose has improved slightly over recent months.

Disappointed ex-reader. :complain:

Guest scary steve

Hi Ryan,

Not sure which Celica you're talking about - haven't worked on Fast Car for three years LOL!

I can asure you, the new mag is absolutely nothing like Fast Car or Max Power. :limp:

Nope, no boobies, or men's bottoms. No bling, no chrome spinners, no 'pimping rides'. No swearing for the sake of it, no stupid box outs. No, writers spending half the story telling us about their ingrowing toenail before they get to the car. No cringe-worthy headlines like 'Zee-licious' and 'SX-APPEAL', no adverts for sex-lines etc etc.

Imagine the excellent Evo magazine, but with 'our' cars instead of 911s, Murcielagos and Zondas, and you've just about got it :thumbs:

And notice, I'm Steve C, not Scary Steve! :tongue:

Cheers,

Steve C

Editor,

J-Tuner magazine

Peeps,

Yes, we also publish T3, and no, you can't have your Sup featured :D

I have to say I have given up reading Jap car mags...too many adverts, boring articles etc, I personally would like to see more on the lifestyle element of Jap car ownership rather than just the Bling/mods and maybe a few more features on events, (European events too)

Maybe a feature/diary on someone who does the Gumball or Cannonball run (or similiar) ..rather than just pictures and spec on a car that just sits in a garage...most of us actually drive them in reality.

I mean I have no interest in a car that just goes down a quarter mile track...more interested in a 3000 mile track!

I understand that you have a difficult challenge ahead to publish a mag that can be all things to all people, though it looks like you are pressing all the right buttons and asking all the right questions...rather than planning to replicate whats already on the shelves at Smiths..so good luck and hope its a success!

:innocent:

(can i have my car featured now)

:tongue:

:cool:

Hi Ryan,

I can asure you, the new mag is absolutely nothing like Fast Car or Max Power. :limp:

no adverts for sex-lines etc etc.

Imagine the excellent Evo magazine, but with 'our' cars instead of 911s, Murcielagos and Zondas, and you've just about got it :thumbs:

I'm going to hold you to these promises. :) If this is the case then I'm looking forward to having another Jap magazine around with adult-oriented articles. It'll take something special to compete with Jap Performance for great cars, technical features and over-all quality though. :thumbs:

What about a week by week "learning Japanese" section that might eventually aid in getting some simple translations for all those bloody annoying instructions that we get?

Tutorials for setting up basic boost controllers or other such items? SBC-ID III and Profec etc etc?

Just a couple of ideas.

P.S. Wasn't Scarey Steve (Formerly of Fast Car) the shaved headed one with the 306 GTi?

Wasn't Scarey Steve (Formerly of Fast Car) the shaved headed one with the 306 GTi?

Yeah the jammy git who got to sit with all of those naked women including Rebecca Teasdale in the absolute buff! :love: I'm just jealous.

He also changed his cars more often than most men change their underclangers.

Lancia Delta Integrale or something like that.

Nissan 200SX....I think

Mazda RX-7 with blown engine, 20" alloys, huge metal wing and a £500 carbon steering wheel.

R32 Skyline GT-R with blown engine (I'm seeing a patter here LOL!)

None of the current tuning and styling mags really do it for me, they either lack depth (Banzai & Japanese Performance) or have far too much t1ts and a55 / adverts - if I want adverts I'll go and look for them, if I want to see naked women I'll reach up to the top shelf.... the idea of "EVO for Japanese Cars" really appeals to me. I used to love "Fast Lane" magazine back in the day, EVO seems to have followed on from it - OK most of the cars are unobtainable to the average Joe but the stories are interesting and the photography is very arty.

Looking forward to seeing what happens, hopefully the first issue will set the tone for the future, a lot of the other mags went downhill after the first few, I guess ideas run out and advertisers wave wads of cash at them......

Jap Performance lacks depth? :eek:

Explain please as I think the in-depth tech articles, car buying guides, road tests etc allow it to excel above most other car enthusiast mags. :rtfm:

Evo is a great mag if you a spare £100K+ lying around to buy a Ferrari etc. I just feel that the cars within it's pages are unobtainable to 95% of the country.

I'm hoping this J-Tuner mag will be all it promises to be.

Not being a misery guts or trying to piss on anyones fire but i personally think there are too many Jap car mags

You will certainly have a mammoth task to capture our imagination seen as so much info is available on the internet and through club sites, I mean I have learned far more from Mkivsupra/bbs and other forums...together with pictures and specific info on request so I'm afraid I wont be parting with £3:90 (just being honest.)

I do read Autocar occasionally just to see whats coming out on the market and wether its something I'll be able to slaughter on the road :p

I used to read Banzai, JP car, Redline and Max Power, but to be honest I thinks its a waste of dosh when i can use the internet and with faster connections I can get full gloss pictures and even high qaulity video all for free etc!

I expect people will buy it to see their own cars featured...other than that I dont see the point...but good luck anyhow!

:innocent: :cool:

Edit: Just realised I've posted twice....god i sound so miserable ...take no notice of me he he

Jap Performance lacks depth? :eek:

In my opinion yes.

Explain please as I think the in-depth tech articles, car buying guides, road tests etc allow it to excel above most other car enthusiast mags. :rtfm:

Perhaps it's changed a lot in the months since I stopped buying it but a couple of tech articles spanning 2 pages (with an ad for the product in between of course) coupled with a 'huge' 4 page feature on a car with more pictures than text doesn't really do it for me.

Evo is a great mag if you a spare £100K+ lying around to buy a Ferrari etc. I just feel that the cars within it's pages are unobtainable to 95% of the country.

As with Top Gear mag when it first started the writing is better though, the articles are stories with tech info in there to add even more depth, they add emotion to the text. Yes the cars are unobtainable but if I want to read about a Clio I'll pop down to Renault and pick up a brochure :) I subscribe to Auto Express for the mundane stuff and pick and choose between the other mags when they have things that interest me.

I'm hoping this J-Tuner mag will be all it promises to be.

Likewise.