The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cam belt grr-ness

AlexJames

You need a new crank pulley mate, i agree with ricky .It all wanted stripping down on the front to see the other damage to bend that crank pulley well i wouldnt be happy with it you hear of them falling off.

So is it all sorted now?

Can someone explain to me.. or point out on my picture.. what makes u think the crank pully is bent.. cause from the engine its in pretty good nick. the damage was done further up, the crack came further up on the cover, but had to pull it off cause of the crack, hence why the crack runs lower down the cover.. but the crank pully seems in good order to me... :blink:

Below the bottom of your red circle it appears that the part of the outer pulley rim has broken off and left a flat section on the pulleys circumference. It may not be bent but it will have had to have had a fair knock to fracture that bit of metal off.

If you look just below the broken edge you will see countersunk holes, which i believe are drilled to take material off so that it's perfectly balanced..........looking at the bit missing and comparing it to the amount of material removed by one of these small drilled dimples you may well end up with an unbalanced pulley...............the effect of which is often debated on here.

Looking down a little further still and you will see the 1-2mm band of rubber material thats bonded to the two metal pieces of the pulley. This bond fails in time for any car, i would think one that's already old (its definitely not a recent one IMO) has had some sort of impact damage and may be (a little/lot?) out of balance.....may be worth changing.

Below the bottom of your red circle it appears that the part of the outer pulley rim has broken off and left a flat section on the pulleys circumference. It may not be bent but it will have had to have had a fair knock to fracture that bit of metal off.

If you look just below the broken edge you will see countersunk holes, which i believe are drilled to take material off so that it's perfectly balanced..........looking at the bit missing and comparing it to the amount of material removed by one of these small drilled dimples you may well end up with an unbalanced pulley...............the effect of which is often debated on here.

Looking down a little further still and you will see the 1-2mm band of rubber material thats bonded to the two metal pieces of the pulley. This bond fails in time for any car, i would think one that's already old (its definitely not a recent one IMO) has had some sort of impact damage and may be (a little/lot?) out of balance.....may be worth changing.

My thoughts exactly, also if the missing piece is close to where the belt sits, then the belt will be abraided by the edge.

good luck on the check over mate, If your gonna remove the crank seal pulley why not just order another along with the plastic cover you broke then you wont need to worry about it falling off.

Thanks mate, yeah thats true... I dont think I will remove it, try and work around if I can, if I have to remove the crank pully I think I will take it into a garage to do.. there is only so much I can do realistically on my driveway lol..

Ill let you know soon! :)