Rears:-

AP Racing

4 Pot

330mm discs

Ferrodo pads

Goodridge hoses

Delphi dot 5.1 brake fluid

550bhp

Heavy road use, Castle Combe, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Nurburgring.

Awesome performance from a company that designs brake systems for top flight motorsport. 11/10 (just to beat Jamie's 10 :D )

edited to add brake fluid and usage.

Out of interest, what type of calipers are you using? Are they the road calipers?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fronts:-

AP Racing

6 Pot

360mm disk (IIRC)

Ferrodo pads (will get part no. later)

Goodridge hoses

Rears:-

AP Racing

4 Pot

330mm discs

Ferrodo pads

Goodridge hoses

Delphi dot 5.1 brake fluid

550bhp

Heavy road use, Castle Combe, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Nurburgring.

Awesome performance from a company that designs brake systems for top flight motorsport. 11/10 (just to beat Jamie's 10 :D )

edited to add brake fluid and usage.

updated

1. Brembo Monoblock

2. 6 Pots

3. 398mm Brembo CCM

4. Brembo Supplied

5. N/A

6. N/A - Sat under my desk

7. N/A - Sat under my desk

8. N/A - Sat under my desk

9. Get spun around by my feet a bit.

Do you have stock rear calipers? UK or Jspec?

What is the approx bhp?

My brakes:

1.) AP Racing 6-pot front,

2.) AP Racing 4-pot rear,

3.) AP Racing 360mm cross-drilled front rotors, 2-piece

4.) AP Racing 343mm cross-drilled rear rotors, 2-piece

5.) SS / braided brake lines (came with the AP's)

6.) Ferodo F&R pads (supplied pads with the AP Kit)

7.) Motul RBF600 brake fluid

8.) ABS system removed (not by me but the previous owner)

9.) Still not enough regular use (just finished build-up) but probably 80% fast road use, 20% track use

My only complaint is the brake pedal feel is very soft. Not spongy soft, but just really soft. Thinking of switching to ATE Super Blue brake fluid to firm up the pedal feel, but am ultimately planning on getting a bigger brake master cylinder from another Toyota model. Question is, which one? Any other ides/tips/suggestions to firm up my brake pedal? I'm looking for Porsche-firm brake pedal feel :)

RE stopping power, scary on cold Bridgestone RE55 intermediate race tires! Always wants to swap ends! When fully heated-up, it's breathtaking from 140mph ;) I'd give the brakes 8/10, let down only by the soft brake pedal feel.

Car originally had 700hp with potential to hit just shy of 1000hp with a PHR crate engine and Twin HKS GT30307's and Motec M800 but engine was unstreetable. Stuck in another stock engine and did BPU++ now doing by my estimate roughly 360-380 wheel HP

Edited by botachi (see edit history)

My brakes:

9.) Still not enough regular use (just finished build-up) but probably 80% fast road use, 20% track use

My only complaint is the brake pedal feel is very soft. Not spongy soft, but just really soft. Thinking of switching to ATE Super Blue brake fluid to firm up the pedal feel, but am ultimately planning on getting a bigger brake master cylinder from another Toyota model. Question is, which one? Any other ides/tips/suggestions to firm up my brake pedal? I'm looking for Porsche-firm brake pedal feel :)

RE stopping power, scary on cold Bridgestone RE55 intermediate race tires! Always wants to swap ends! When fully heated-up, it's breathtaking from 140mph ;)

Sounds like a nice setup, if you've got a soft pedal, I'd be looking at your master cylinder being faulty or air in the system. Unless the piston sizes are way off on the calipers that is.

My brakes:

RE stopping power, scary on cold Bridgestone RE55 intermediate race tires! Always wants to swap ends! When fully heated-up, it's breathtaking from 140mph ;)

Ok ... what bhp are you running.

What quotation (on a 10 scale) would you give to your setup?

I do think the rating is pointless...it's A) subjective and B) probably not based on a lot of experience.

To rate them you'd need a team of 3 excellent drivers and all the cars...and those drivers then rate them...

However what you could do instead is rate on different aspects. ie Initial Bite, Fade resistance from repeated high speed deceleration tests, pad dust, performance when cold, performance when warm. etc.

initially i was going to contribute to this thread but seeing as everyones set up is 10/10 what is the relevance of this list and what can people learn from it ? other than "lets show off our big brakes" i cant really see a point to it

I partially agree on this. However, it's nice to see what setup combination is run by others ... and to see if they are happy with it. :)

I think a real value on citerias such as pedal pressure, fading etc can only be taken into account if the same person tests different setups.

OK I'll start with me :)

The brakes in itself are very very powerful, and very progressive and linear in their operation. Problem is the pedal is just too freaking soft! There's no air in the system although I am using Motul RBF600 and have removed the ABS system. That might be why the pedal is soft. The distributor of Motul has told me that RBF600 gives relatively soft pedal effort / pressure.

The brake master cylinder is also relatively new, replaced in 2006 and having covered less than 1000 miles since then.

From cold, the brakes are very grabby and powerful, but after a few miles they seem to "glaze" and lose a bit of stopping power and some feel but after a few more minutes \ miles they go back to normal, very powerful and very confidence inspiring.

I believe I've only gotten my brakes to their ideal operating temp only a handful of times because there was a TREMENDOUS difference in feel and stopping power from 140-150mph to zero as opposed to 30-40mph down to zero.

Ultimately my brakes are waaay OTT for my intended use (previous owner bought them and bolted them in, not me) of fast road and SOME trackdays in a year (6-8 events tops in a year) but the visual appeal is fantastic :)

OK I'll start with me :)

The brakes in itself are very very powerful, and very progressive and linear in their operation. Problem is the pedal is just too freaking soft! There's no air in the system although I am using Motul RBF600 and have removed the ABS system. That might be why the pedal is soft. The distributor of Motul has told me that RBF600 gives relatively soft pedal effort / pressure.

The brake master cylinder is also relatively new, replaced in 2006 and having covered less than 1000 miles since then.

From cold, the brakes are very grabby and powerful, but after a few miles they seem to "glaze" and lose a bit of stopping power and some feel but after a few more minutes \ miles they go back to normal, very powerful and very confidence inspiring.

I believe I've only gotten my brakes to their ideal operating temp only a handful of times because there was a TREMENDOUS difference in feel and stopping power from 140-150mph to zero as opposed to 30-40mph down to zero.

Ultimately my brakes are waaay OTT for my intended use (previous owner bought them and bolted them in, not me) of fast road and SOME trackdays in a year (6-8 events tops in a year) but the visual appeal is fantastic :)

What grade of pads are you using? It wont be the fluid causing that unless there's air in the system somewhere.

Ta

Sounds like something isn't quite right there Botachi. You've pretty much the same set-up as mine, but I've still got the ABS, and the pedal pressure is what I would call "perfect".

It could be that without the ABS pump the master cylinder size is wrongly sized, but it could also be air in the system, wrong spec fluid or wrong pad selection. Either way something doesn't sound quite right.