The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Both of my Turbo's are dying!!!

SilverSoop

Well, I like my steel-bladed re-builds - it could simply be that the old turbos were very sick, but the re-builds were awesome by comparison, and have scope for about 1.4 bar. With the right cooling and piggyback maybe some hotter cams, I reckon that'll be more than enough for me power-wise.

going from ceramic stock turbos to steel based hybrids puts a lot of lag in to the process. The steel turbos take much longer to spool, your low down grunt has disappeared and its no longer such a good all rounder.

On the single turbo costs, yes you can do it on the cheap, but then you are running a car thats only just faster than a BPU+. If you want to run 1.4bar on a t-61 or t-67 then you need it properly mapped and to do that you need at the least a piggy back. Then the cooling becomes questionable.

If somebody wants to do the spanner work themselves and already has a car at BPU+ then its not going to be £10k, that would be obvious. But very few members would be able to remove a full set of stock turbos, mount the new turbo, and then wire in the AEM CORRECTLY.

Most mappers will walk away from a poorly built single or badly fitted ECU. They expect it to be done right.

Exactly right, I plan tp personally put aside 10k before I go single as there is SO much kit to buy and fit.

Im not sure whether I should go with either a GT35R Turbo or PHR stage 1 or stage 2...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to buy and what Turbo I should go with...

Well, I like my steel-bladed re-builds - it could simply be that the old turbos were very sick, but the re-builds were awesome by comparison, and have scope for about 1.4 bar. With the right cooling and piggyback maybe some hotter cams, I reckon that'll be more than enough for me power-wise.

Is your Supe a VVTi Ark??

Exactly right, I plan tp personally put aside 10k before I go single as there is SO much kit to buy and fit.

Im not sure whether I should go with either a GT35R Turbo or PHR stage 1 or stage 2...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to buy and what Turbo I should go with...

personally i'd go PHR street kit with a cast manifold - oh, er... hang on - I got one of them :D:D;)

I'm sure other people will give there oppinion on kits...

No, it's not quite young enough for that.

:D

personally i'd go PHR street kit with a cast manifold - oh, er... hang on - I got one of them :D:D;)

I'm sure other people will give there oppinion on kits...

Yeh I was thinking of that but tbh, Im drawn to either a T04Z or GT35R...

They are both DBB turbo's and the T04Z is a bit dearer, I think for delivery for the whole kit is around 3k where the GT35R is around 2.8k...

The GT35R will give me around 550 bhp and the T04Z will give me around 600 bhp...

What does the PHR stage 1 and 2 give the Supra in performance??

Are the PHR kits reliable also??

And are the GT35R DBB and the T04Z DBB Turbo reliable??

sorry should have looked closer, 6 speed box no problem with the T04Z, as for the engine it would be ok with high 500's but I would check it for compression before you start to ensure all is well, the T04Z is very similar to the T67 DBB

Oh ok, the thing is, if the stock engine can handle the high 500's and the T04Z dbb gives me 600 bhp, isn't that pushing it a bit...

What is the difference between the T67 and the T04Z??

Just for safety, would be a good option to go with the GT35R dbb??

Someone else in my club lol, both my seals are going yet again, and i simply dont have the money to get them done. Toying with the idea of taking them out myself. Save some money, have a feeling my intercooler is also full of oil and have oil coming out the BOV. No idea what other damage to the engine has gone on, so the whole car will prob be dead soon. I cant fix it, so may end up selling it. So I know how you feel..!

The T04Z can give much more than 600, (it gave 735 on my R32) and that was my point really, you would be running lower boost and not using the full potential, I would go for a T61 or PHR set up as mentioned

Ok I have ruled the T04Z out but the GT35R still appeals to me though...:) ;)

Someone else in my club lol, both my seals are going yet again, and i simply dont have the money to get them done. Toying with the idea of taking them out myself. Save some money, have a feeling my intercooler is also full of oil and have oil coming out the BOV. No idea what other damage to the engine has gone on, so the whole car will prob be dead soon. I cant fix it, so may end up selling it. So I know how you feel..!

Who's that then?? :)

But I do...;) It's just that it's on it's way out...:D

Aah, sorry mate. I think I see what you're saying. It's a little poorly, so you're not using it to provide some longevity while you save up for Single.

I have ridden in a few singles and whilst I can't help but be impressed with the speed, I'm content with the standard twin setup. Even at BPU++ it's reliable and doesn't need any fancy electronics or mapping all the time.

I was considering getting a manual conversion & maybe going single last year, but decided to spend the money on getting an MR2 Turbo and doing track days in it. Having loads of fun - TBH more than I have driving the Supra on the road these days with all the cameras etc

Aah, sorry mate. I think I see what you're saying. It's a little poorly, so you're not using it to provide some longevity while you save up for Single.

I have ridden in a few singles and whilst I can't help but be impressed with the speed, I'm content with the standard twin setup. Even at BPU++ it's reliable and doesn't need any fancy electronics or mapping all the time.

I was considering getting a manual conversion & maybe going single last year, but decided to spend the money on getting an MR2 Turbo and doing track days in it. Having loads of fun - TBH more than I have driving the Supra on the road these days with all the cameras etc

Yeh very true, I have always wanted a Single Supra and I have now decided which Turbo to go with: The GT35R because it is a Turbo which I can use it's potential,

unlike the T04Z where I won't be and it will push the limits of the stock engine...

It's not going to be for a while yet but yes you have got it right, because both of my tubbies are not in the best condition,

I am going to replace No1 and save No2 until I go for a single conversion...:)

I am going to replace No1 and save No2 until I go for a single conversion...:)

The trouble with doing that is that if one turbo is functioning well, and the other isn't, they will be unbalanced, accelerating the decline of the bad one, and costing you power in the meantime.