The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tein C spanners

Homer

If they're still on the car (i.e. top mount still connected and bottom end still on the suspension) they still exert a huge force on the collar, was just curious if any of the problematic ones hadn't been compressed, but dandan blew that idea out :D

All I can say is your idea of huge is smaller than mine :D Obviously I can't quantify the amount of force, but I can say that when the rings are turning freely it doesn't take much strength to turn the ring with the spring resting on it. As Dandan says, grease is the key, otherwise they end up knackered and that's that, compressed springs or not.

All I can say is your idea of huge is smaller than mine :D Obviously I can't quantify the amount of force, but I can say that when the rings are turning freely it doesn't take much strength to turn the ring with the spring resting on it. As Dandan says, grease is the key, otherwise they end up knackered and that's that, compressed springs or not.

You might well be right :) I was only going on my experience when compressing the rear spring, even with 2.5-3inchs taken out, they were still putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the bottom collar.

FI: Found that the HR and HA are the same spring wise, but the HA has an adjustable damper, the HR doesn't.

You might well be right :) I was only going on my experience when compressing the rear spring, even with 2.5-3inchs taken out, they were still putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the bottom collar.

When I was doing mine I had both wheels off the ground... I think if you jack up just one wheel the sway bar adds quite a bit of force. :search:

When I was doing mine I had both wheels off the ground... I think if you jack up just one wheel the sway bar adds quite a bit of force. :search:

Both wheels off the ground (as always), no ARB connected..

Edit - the car has sat for years with no engine, drivetrain, interior, etc so might just be that the springs need to settle again from being expanded for so many years. Just a theory!

Both wheels off the ground (as always), no ARB connected..

Edit - the car has sat for years with no engine, drivetrain, interior, etc so might just be that the springs need to settle again from being expanded for so many years. Just a theory!

Sounds like ideal conditions, springs wanting to settle shouldn't affect them much in the expanded state (just a guess :) ). But I suppose it's a bit of a moot point how much force they're exerting - if you think the ring is going to break, compressing them would be wise regardless :tomato: