The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im getting my engine polished! Cant wait!

SilverSoop

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i did mine it was hard work and is was very nice and shiny for the 1st week!! :(

after that i just got so annoyed with little scratches and marks and all sorts!!! dam... now it all matt black!! :)

i have to admit that i wasnt using GOOD products, maybe thats why all my annoying problems!!

Silversoop, good luck mate! and i bet you cant wait, it will look very nive and shiny!! you will love it!!

See my post for what can be polished.

Is that £600s worth though? I take it that includes a bit of labour cost. I wonder how much? I've been meaning to get some bits polished for ages but I've foregone pimping my engine as I love driving the thing too damn much. I guess I'd rather be fast and pikey :D

Shane mate... what can I say?? All show and no go!! :D

Which bits specifically do they polish? I assume you don't mean the block is polished... that's my idea of the "whole" engine. Are you buying the shiny bits on an exchange basis?

Its basically what you can see in the engine will be polished...like Lui's basically Gaz...:D

I think Paul Whiffin is taking the engine bits away to be polished but i could be wrong because im not exactly sure what happens as we have still got to discuss it further...

All show and no go...um, not exactly lol...:p :D

Is that £600s worth though? I take it that includes a bit of labour cost. I wonder how much? I've been meaning to get some bits polished for ages but I've foregone pimping my engine as I love driving the thing too damn much. I guess I'd rather be fast and pikey :D

That's you all over Gaz lol...;) :D

if you want to keep the polished stuff shiney, with out making a rod for your own back

chrome it

(good luck finding someone who can chrome alu though)

Exactly! Hence why im getting her polished instead...:)

when i did mine it was hard work and is was very nice and shiny for the 1st week!! :(

after that i just got so annoyed with little scratches and marks and all sorts!!! dam... now it all matt black!! :)

i have to admit that i wasnt using GOOD products, maybe thats why all my annoying problems!!

Silversoop, good luck mate! and i bet you cant wait, it will look very nive and shiny!! you will love it!!

Oh yes, definetely, once the engine is shiny, its going to stay that way lol...:D

Question on that, is better to polish up to the utmost before chroming, or does a good clean and chrome give the same results?

the better the shine before chroming the better really, unless you can find someone who does show chrome whereby it isn't as critical as they will buff the copper to a high lustre before the chrome.

the better the shine before chroming the better really, unless you can find someone who does show chrome whereby it isn't as critical as they will buff the copper to a high lustre before the chrome.

Thats interesting - I'm not a metal guy at all, but dont quite see the logic there, isnt chroming a coating - how do you see the shine through the chrome coat? Is it like spraying paint, white gives a lighter finish than spraying on top of a dark colour?

Like steel chrome, its usually rusty underneath, but if you dont peel back the chrome, you would never know

Thats interesting - I'm not a metal guy at all, but dont quite see the logic there, isnt chroming a coating - how do you see the shine through the chrome coat? Is it like spraying paint, white gives a lighter finish than spraying on top of a dark colour?

Like steel chrome, its usually rusty underneath, but if you dont peel back the chrome, you would never know

The logic is simple really and is the same as if you were painting a car, you get the part to the very best possible finish before applying your coating don't you ?

Now with metal the best and smoothest possible finish is a highly polished one (polishing is just a series of abrasives after all). Chrome plating is applied over a nickel base coat. The thickness is only a few microns (hard chrome is 25 microns) compared with say paint at 150 + microns ! so any surface impercections will show through.

With show chrome a copper base is applied to the part this is the filler layer, any imperfections will be covered (if not a second coat is applied. When happy this part will be buffed. Nickel is applied, again checked for imperfections and finally the chrome plating will be added.