The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop Skuttle shake sorted!

georigg

Quick question then for the aero owners. When I get the Aero is it Ok to jack them up with the roof off using the standard sill jack. It sounds to me like it will just twist. I also assume you dont try to take the roof off/on with twist in the chassis like with car sat with one wheel on a kerb or similar.

It's safe to do it, but don't expect to be able to get the roof back on until the car is down and level again.

It won't do any damage or anything so no need to worry :)

Yeah, I was amazed by this after removing the roof when the car was on axle stands. One of the front stands was lower than the other, it sat with a 1inch clearance for days with the roof on, after removing the roof, 5 minutes later one corner had dropped right down to sit on the stand! No way to get the roof back on until it was jacked up again.

I'm going to try a test next time its on stands just too see how much it will actually flex :D

It's really shocking just how unstable it is without the roof, no amount of strut bars or under bracing will solve the fact there's no fixed brace between the windscreen and the rear section.

would be interesting to find out how much it will flex, keep me posted if you find out please :)

I like the aerotop a lot, but wonder how much stiffer it would have been if toyota did it as a targa top, with the bar across the middle.

You say that chap but we can't jack our helicopters with the floor out in case it twists the entire airframe. OK you have twisting motions during driving but they are damped by the suspension. Personally I would not jack an aerotop with the roof off. really why would you need to? Jack it, trestle sorry axle stand it then take out the roof but why jack it with the roof out?

would be interesting to find out how much it will flex, keep me posted if you find out please :)

I like the aerotop a lot, but wonder how much stiffer it would have been if toyota did it as a targa top, with the bar across the middle.

Wez was over the other day and we thought the same. I gues it was a case of form over function.

I wager about a 1.5 inch drop on chassis, god knows how much it will flex when under load round a track. It's really going to need a weld in roll cage to sort it.

You say that chap but we can't jack our helicopters with the floor out in case it twists the entire airframe. OK you have twisting motions during driving but they are damped by the suspension. Personally I would not jack an aerotop with the roof off. really why would you need to? Jack it, trestle sorry axle stand it then take out the roof but why jack it with the roof out?

Not sure if that was directed at me or the other chap.

The reason for me is that I've been doing a lot of work on the car (interior, looms and carpet in/out, cutting and refitting the trans tunnel, etc.) It's a hell of a lot easier with the roof out!

Interesting comments above; I've been mulling over in my mind how to make a Tee-Bar insert which could bolt on to the existing targa top locations when the roof is off, to bring the stiffness back to its roof-on level.

A big however though, is the weather up here in Scotland which frankly is not really good enough to allow the roof to be off for long periods of time(I've twice ended up with a cold after taking the roof off on "sunny days".).

Much as I like my Supra, I'm now thinking along the lines of getting a car that has an electric roof......not really interested in a Merc SLK, wouldnt touch a Pug(any of them ...all horrible!), really left with an M3..............any suggestions anyone?