The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra from South Africa

Guest Wassie

And I, who just want to have a supra, like a lot of other people, can't get the cars imported or they will confiscate them and destroy the car. What a load of crap.

bloody hell mate and we think we've got problems back in blighty, welcome aboard, at least you have a good view from your window :D, whats the deal with importing the supes over there then, it seems a bit draconian :(

Guest Wassie
bloody hell mate and we think we've got problems back in blighty, welcome aboard, at least you have a good view from your window :D, whats the deal with importing the supes over there then, it seems a bit draconian :(

It is. We have a ban on any imported vehicle here. No one knows what the hell for. But there is some loopholes, but it costs a lot of cash. Our customs rip you off big time. Let me give a scenario.

Before I got this vehicle, I wanted to import one from anywhere. Japan being the cheapest, our currency being stronger than the Yen, decided to import from there under the heading, "Collectors Item". Little did I know that if you want to import a car under that heading, you must own at least 5 vehicles. So that got blown out. Also, it would have cost me 60% of the car's value in tax with our customs just to release the vehicle.

Then, I decided to buy one in one of our neighboring countries. They do not have import restrictions. Got the car imported to there, but our law states that you can only bring in a vehicle you owned after you have had it registered for more than 12 months in that country, and the vehicle was not sold locally. 12 months without me driving it seemed a bit steep. So that went out as well. So then I started looking for one available in SA, and it took me 4 years to find this one, which of course need some work, but at least it is legal.

O, by the way, if our government pick up you have an illegal imported vehicle, they confiscate it and then destroy it. Not just is that heartbreaking, but hurts your pocket. Oh yes, and if you do get to buy an imported car legally, you have to buy it cash, no finance is available for imported cars in SA.

I remember all this cr@p... Wassie, do you know what a code 5 is? My brother has a vehicle in SA that he recently bought and apparently can't register it as it's a code 5.

How about if you ship all the parts in and build your own from scratch, can it be declared as a new vehicle?

Guest Wassie
I remember all this cr@p... Wassie, do you know what a code 5 is? My brother has a vehicle in SA that he recently bought and apparently can't register it as it's a code 5.

How about if you ship all the parts in and build your own from scratch, can it be declared as a new vehicle?

I have no idea what code 5 is. But I should be able to find out. If you have a RWC you should be able to register the vehicle. Rebuilt vehicles are usually a code 3, but no idea about code 5. Let me find out.

As for the parts, I can get a 2JZ-GTE motor and the gearbox, the problem is the body. We have a bunch of idiots regulating cars. But it does give me an idea.

Thank mate. I'd be interested to know what code 5 is as his RX7 isn't registered yet and I can see him running into issues. Can anyone say bribe ;)

You could always import a body as a "kitcar" or something dodgy like that? Otherwise, you could bang the 2JZ into something else if you don't mind losing the supes lovely lines :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1238

Guest Wassie

That defies the point of having a Supey. I love the lines. She is like a beautiful woman in lingerie. There is no way I am giving that up.

Its to protect the delicate and subsidised car manufacturing industry in South Africa. Could imagine what it would be like with all those people out of work as well!

Really difficult to get a car imported. I gave up trying, honestly not worth the hassle. Only time it was some what easy, was if you bought a car new outside of SA and imported as new. So long as you could cover the costs and taxes, that seemed easy. Pretty sure one the R34 GTRs was done like this.

That defies the point of having a Supey. I love the lines. She is like a beautiful woman in lingerie. There is no way I am giving that up.

I'm glad you said that. I'm not a fan of people sticking Supra engines in other cars.. makes me sad. I even feel a little weird about putting a V8 in a supra.