The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best place to purchase a roll cage

Rich

Must be a minimum of CDS (cold drawn seamless steel tube) and I would go for 1.25 inch as an absolute minimum OD. Unless you are GOOD at this sort of thing, preferably have a decent TIG, and a proper pipe bending machine and tube notcher, I wouldn't contemplate it. I did a cage fro my old Special GT Elan, and wouldn't do another. It worked fine and looked reasonably professional, but I still have a burn scar, and the mental scars from days in the garage trying to bend the bare tube, cut and notch the ends, then find they didn't fit properly and having to start over. You HAVE to weld in reinforcement gussets to the bodyshell, so paint and underseal will be scorched, you'll end up with a lot of shell prep to do as well as fabbing the tubework. Just pay a pro to do it, trust me...

Must be a minimum of CDS (cold drawn seamless steel tube) and I would go for 1.25 inch as an absolute minimum OD. Unless you are GOOD at this sort of thing, preferably have a decent TIG, and a proper pipe bending machine and tube notcher, I wouldn't contemplate it. I did a cage fro my old Special GT Elan, and wouldn't do another. It worked fine and looked reasonably professional, but I still have a burn scar, and the mental scars from days in the garage trying to bend the bare tube, cut and notch the ends, then find they didn't fit properly and having to start over. You HAVE to weld in reinforcement gussets to the bodyshell, so paint and underseal will be scorched, you'll end up with a lot of shell prep to do as well as fabbing the tubework. Just pay a pro to do it, trust me...

Yes to the welder, pipe bender and notcher... Don't mind soo mcuh about the paint work as I'm just going to lay a vinyl wrap over the entire car. I do appreciate this isn't a nice job, and your advice especially 'pay a pro' is received and I'll have to think hard now. :thumbs:

I did a cage fro my old Special GT Elan,QUOTE]

I have a mate who has a wide body Elan, gorgeous car. Seems its one of about 5 in the world or something. Is that the same as this car?

will need to dig a pic out.

Cheers

G

PS sorry for going off topic

It was a lightweight 26R race shell, cut about with wide arches, on a Spyder chassis bought without suspension pick ups fitted. I ran it on March F2 suspension with all custom pickup points. It had a Cosworth all alloy 2 litre BDG in it, with the 2 rearmost plugs further back than the windshield, so the engine was WAY back in the chassis. Gearbox was a Quiafe dog box, diff was a 26R magnesium unit with a plate type LSD. car weighed 480 kilos and engine made 280 BHP on a proper engine dyno. I did have photos in electronic format, including one of a centre lock rear hub failure at Lodge at Oulton, which was a bit of a stirring moment. Not sure what's become of them now. I think the car's still around up in Scotland.

Edit, found some old pics, including my trusty Skoda special saloon (fabulous car, won loads of stuff, and my F3 Reynard. I feel so old looking at this stuff :)

elanwhel.gif

elansc.gif

skoda4.gif

873_1.gif