The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rollcage any1 with some pics of theirs??

dayosupra

It's not that dumb a question, when you're on track you have a helmet to protect your head from hitting the cage. On road you don't, so it could do more damage than not having one. I think most insurance companies will just refuse cover too.

With comments like these you would be better with something like this...;)

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/1259077.jpg

:rlol:

... but seriously - cages for street cars are show cages, as you wouldn't want to cut the car up like we've done on the whifbitz cars. The cages we have are full weld-in jobs in 45mm tubing that cross the car in the back and the roof.

Its also possible to add bars to the cage as and when needed.

To do this on a road car would seriously hurt the interior to a level most wouldn't want and makes it pretty much useless for anything other than carrying 2 people.

If its a 'street cage' your after then get a nice bolt in chromed one like in Paul's beast ( plug - plug :taped: ). These are easier to get into and live with day to day - and they look nice.

But what ever one you like, make sure things like head clearance and arms/legs dont get obstructed by the cage. I had to go and basically be fitted for mine (my choice) so as not to impede movement.

Also, get some good padding for the area around your head - should the worst happen you need padding to absorb the impact of your head on the cage - the helmet wont do a great deal in absorbing the shock alone.

(by padding I mean FIA stuff thats ~£30 for 0.5 metre!)

As for helmets - I haven't been to a trackday where they'll let you on without one. Imagine hitting your head on the door glass as hard as possible from the seated position, treble it and thats the kind of impact you'll have.

without one. Helmets designed for cars are also different standards to motorcycle helmets as they're designed to take different types of impact.

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

i was about to mention about ull need to pad it up but steveL above got there first lol im thinking of a cage for next year as im intending on doing track days myself sadly the job im in i cant mess about on the roads no more so for fun ill have to hit the tracks, i think a simple 6 point cage that bolts to the floor would be fine no need for stripping the car totally or cutting the dash up :)

Helmets designed for cars are also different standards to motorcycle helmets as they're designed to take different types of impact.

Slightly off topic but I gather a motorcycle helmet would be suitable for use in both categories as they have to take on forces from all over the head area in the event of a crash?

I use this

http://www.motoemporium.com/hjc/ac12/ac12carbon.jpg

Slightly off topic but I gather a motorcycle helmet would be suitable for use in both categories as they have to take on forces from all over the head area in the event of a crash?

I use this

http://www.motoemporium.com/hjc/ac12/ac12carbon.jpg

Some maybe, depends on the certification. Daz had problems with the scrutineers last year where by they didn't like one of his helmets because it was a motorcycle one. It all depends on what regulations have to be adhered to.

For track day stuff I would think you'll be fine with most decent motorcycle helmets. But if you don't have a motorcycle helmet I'd buy a saloon specific one.

If people are in doubt theres a lot of stuff on the regulations and types of testing done on the web. Google stuff like 'snell helmet regulations' and be careful of the US/non-uk stuff - some of its different.

Nice helmet by the way ....:)

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

My family made me fit a cage after I flattened my roof in an upside down road accident.

It's strong, but not welded in.

Jeez, I'm not surprised. Did you not even get a bump on the head then?

Also Roll Cages can put your insurance up

Ahh, thats a strong reason not to get one, depending on how much the increase is.

I doubt many people go to the expense of a cage for a road car.

Helmets have been compulsory at the track days I've been to.

I did wonder. Also wonder if the "track days" where you get to drive around various exotic cars are still classed as track days and so you have to wear a helmet? Not sure if I would want one if im driving a ferrari for the first time.

I sincerely hope you don't drive fast enough to ever need a roll cage as judging by your posts on this thread I'm not 100% sure you'll even figure out how that round "steering wheel" thing works in time. ;)

Gaz what kinds of speeds make a roll cage necessary?

isn't there a thing such as a "show cage" - certainly sounds more like what you're after if it's only for looks......

If I did get one, I'd like to to make a difference in a crash (for the better), first reason for me is looking good, but its gotta go hand in hand with a functional reason.

It's not that dumb a question, when you're on track you have a helmet to protect your head from hitting the cage. On road you don't, so it could do more damage than not having one. I think most insurance companies will just refuse cover too.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If you get a cage for just driving around to work and shopping etc, would it be safer to wear a helmet?! Becuase crashing the car could make you hit your unprotected head on the cage...?!

:rlol:

... but seriously - cages for street cars are show cages, as you wouldn't want to cut the car up like we've done on the whifbitz cars. The cages we have are full weld-in jobs in 45mm tubing that cross the car in the back and the roof.

Its also possible to add bars to the cage as and when needed.

To do this on a road car would seriously hurt the interior to a level most wouldn't want and makes it pretty much useless for anything other than carrying 2 people.

If its a 'street cage' your after then get a nice bolt in chromed one like in Paul's beast ( plug - plug :taped: ). These are easier to get into and live with day to day - and they look nice.

But what ever one you like, make sure things like head clearance and arms/legs dont get obstructed by the cage. I had to go and basically be fitted for mine (my choice) so as not to impede movement.

Also, get some good padding for the area around your head - should the worst happen you need padding to absorb the impact of your head on the cage - the helmet wont do a great deal in absorbing the shock alone.

(by padding I mean FIA stuff thats ~£30 for 0.5 metre!)

As for helmets - I haven't been to a trackday where they'll let you on without one. Imagine hitting your head on the door glass as hard as possible from the seated position, treble it and thats the kind of impact you'll have.

without one. Helmets designed for cars are also different standards to motorcycle helmets as they're designed to take different types of impact.

Very informative post thanks! The whifbitz cages look great, are you saying they are as safe as FIA cages? Or what do you have to do to get FIA approval...

I did wonder. Also wonder if the "track days" where you get to drive around various exotic cars are still classed as track days and so you have to wear a helmet? Not sure if I would want one if im driving a ferrari for the first time.

I've not seen one where a helmet isn't used...

If I did get one, I'd like to to make a difference in a crash (for the better), first reason for me is looking good, but its gotta go hand in hand with a functional reason.

One thing worth noting, the reason the dog leg bolt in cages are not use in racing is because of the extreme conditions. The regulations have very specific guidelines that look at those conditions. Toyota designed a very capable car which already has very good protection built in, which in most cases is sufficient for every-day use.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If you get a cage for just driving around to work and shopping etc, would it be safer to wear a helmet?! Becuase crashing the car could make you hit your unprotected head on the cage...?!

If your worried about just popping down to the shops and need a cage... use Tescos home delivery :taped: (couldn't resist - sorry!)

You should at least put padding on the cage. It's also something that most people dont consider on a road car!

Very informative post thanks! The whifbitz cages look great, are you saying they are as safe as FIA cages? Or what do you have to do to get FIA approval...

No probs mate. Our cages are MSA standard.FIA cages and other regs (MSA etc) , as mentioned above, have their own guidelines - of which I can't possibly begin to quote :blink: Best thing to do is talk to some of the rollcage fabricators.

For the ultimate cage you could go for a cro-molly cage - very pretty but very expensive. I think carbon cages are yet to be approved - but I could be wrong.

• 3 months later...

Even though its not a proper cage it still saved me from any injury.

cusco crommoly 6point padded and ribbon wrap(yeah bolarbag its wrapped gucci style:d)

The front leg that took most of the impact bent alittle but held up enough to prevent the cabin from caving in anymore. Its worth the few hundred pounds just to have that safety feature I think and it does look cool:D

Only thing is the one on the gtr made it impossible to heal toe which was stupid and very annoying, but Im sure the supra cusco cage doesn't have that problem.

Even though its not a proper cage it still saved me from any injury.

cusco crommoly 6point padded and ribbon wrap(yeah bolarbag its wrapped gucci style:d)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/supra-toy/CIMG2562.jpg

The front leg that took most of the impact bent alittle but held up enough to prevent the cabin from caving in anymore. Its worth the few hundred pounds just to have that safety feature I think and it does look cool:D

Only thing is the one on the gtr made it impossible to heal toe which was stupid and very annoying, but Im sure the supra cusco cage doesn't have that problem.

Haha, thats some crazzzziiii sh"""""""te!! Thats the first time I've seen that pic big, I've still got it on my phone somewhere!! I fooking loved that car aswell!

Yeah rollcage for sure, unless you never intend using your car on a motorway;)