The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Hidden' radio aerial

BIG BLUE

The autoleads aerial is £19.99. Think i got mine off ebay. My aerial has been smoothed over and it drove me up the wall not been able to rinse on down to some tunes on the way to work so fitted this one. As i said earlier recpetion is fairly good but not as good as a long aerial. :D

out of interest, do you need to do anything to the standard aerial to stop it "erecting" itself everytime you turn on your radio? I assume you can just pull the power connection to it, or does it take a remote feed from the HU which you just don't connect?

out of interest, do you need to do anything to the standard aerial to stop it "erecting" itself everytime you turn on your radio? I assume you can just pull the power connection to it, or does it take a remote feed from the HU which you just don't connect?

disconnecting power would do it and yes some headunits send a control, or others just erect it when the head unit is on.

Either way dont leave the power connected and the control wire, or you get a nice motor sound of an invisable aerial being erected :blush: :D

Correct, signal in my area is fine for all stations. I guess if you live in the sticks may be slightly worse.

Like I said it looks like a mini me aerial, so cant miss it, good luck!

I will have a go at sorting this tonight then!

Cheers everyone

I took the dash apart and found the mini me arial. I need to buy an adaptor plug though as my aerial connector on the back of the head unit only fits the larger, regular aerial plug size.

Can I buy an adaptor plug from Halfords do you think?

I'm sure that Autoleads will sell one, and Halfords sell a lot of their stuff, so depending on store you might be lucky :)

Alternatively, if you have a spare standard connector, you might be able to cut it off and reuse it on the other cable?

I had a look in Halfords yesterday and found some adapters, but they all seem to be adapters to go from the right-angled connection to a straight connection. Still looking for the right one.

I ended up soldering the large connector onto the window element arial connection and fitted it to the back of my head unit. It works fine and I am getting good FM reception (also saved on the cost of an adaptor)

well that's great news then - good FM reception is all I am interested in really - mainly listen to Radio1, and if not one of the local stations, but if I can get away with no aerial sticking out the rear of the car it's wicked :)

Might purchase me a spare standard connection rather than cut the other one off though, just in case it all goes wrong! lol

What have you done with the standard aerial? Left it connected but removed the power to it for the remote switch on?

• 4 years later...