The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leave in drive when sitting in traffic?

Toms Supra

Be careful when you leave it in drive with the handbrake on, before adjusting my handbrake, the AC used to make the car jump forwards when it engaged. Personally I only take it out of drive at the lights if I have been braking heavily, as I recall you’re not supposed to keep the foot brake on if the discs are very hot.

keep foot brake on ,anticipate lights, build revs to 3600 let off foot brake and floor it, for a blistering take off.
I was under the impression that a stock auto Supra won't rev beyond 2000rpm in 'Drive' unless the wheels are spinning. Certainly my RZ won't. JB told me this was perfectly normal. :conf:

I really couldn't care about the rear brake lights glare so leave it in drive, unless like posted above I've been braking hard prior to stopping.

I pay my road tax and pay way to much on fuel to give a damn about other road users complaining about my brake lights. plus they wont be able to catch me up once lights on green :D

because a hot disc can't cool evenly if it's got a brake pad clamped to either side of it. The main section of the disc that's exposed to the air will cool more quickly.

Hmmmm..........can see the theory but don't go on that idea much myself. Has this been proven?

The heat generated under hard use will dissipate quickly, although the disc will still be hot.

May be an issue if you had the discs (and pads) very hot under very heavy braking, then stopped and sat there with the brakes on for a preiod of time. How often do you do that though (waits for everyone to say 'I do').

Hmmmm..........can see the theory but don't go on that idea much myself. Has this been proven?
Yes mate, quite a few times. Admittedly it's usually been in the pits after a hard track session or after a couple of high speed to zero motorway adventures.