The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with overboost on single turbo :(

Sean1933

Well im 99.9% certain i have found the problem :D . I have pulled the turbo off to check the collector entrance to the WG feed runner, and im so wishing i checked it before fitting! It is clear that nothing has been done to the WG runner entrance as there is still rough welds around it, not to mention i put my finger in it and could feel what was probably a 10mm (if not bigger) diameter lip around the top half of the runner!

Im now in the process of pulling the whole thing off so i can try to sort it out...however that means going and bying some tools i didnt want too :( but atleast i seem to be getting to the bottom of it.

P170408_19.27.JPG

P170408_19.28[02].JPG

P170408_19.28[03].JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well im 99.9% certain i have found the problem :D . I have pulled the turbo off to check the collector entrance to the WG feed runner, and im so wishing i checked it before fitting! It is clear that nothing has been done to the WG runner entrance as there is still rough welds around it, not to mention i put my finger in it and could feel what was probably a 10mm (if not bigger) diameter lip around the top half of the runner!

Im now in the process of pulling the whole thing off so i can try to sort it out...however that means going and bying some tools i didnt want too :( but atleast i seem to be getting to the bottom of it.

so if this is true then the massive bill i got from d.t for stripping my turbo and manifold off then honing out the manifold, then refitted it all was complete tosh:blink: but he did cure the overboost:search:

just a word of caution sean it is VERY difficult to get anything down there to get the hole anywhere near round or smooth, i gave up with mine and chopped the wastgate pipe off leaving about a 1" stub, filed up the hole then welded it back on, this prooved no good either, thats when i went up to the 45mm id tube

Was yours an XS manifold paul? I would be very suprised if there are problems once its smoothed out as others have not had this problem, namely homer who was running a T67 which im sure flows around the same...

Im not looking forward to doing it, will try to get a decent 90degree angled grinder/rotory drill thingy. I cant weld so thats not really an option!

Thats what killed the last turbine wheel I rekon. The smallest chunk of weld will kill a turbo.

Thats what i thought in the 1st place mate, and i still stick to that now!

Was yours an XS manifold paul? I would be very suprised if there are problems once its smoothed out as others have not had this problem, namely homer who was running a T67 which im sure flows around the same...

Im not looking forward to doing it, will try to get a decent 90degree angled grinder/rotory drill thingy. I cant weld so thats not really an option!

no it was not XS power and did not look as bad as yours internally, you will struggle to get anything down there mate, chopping it off is not as drastic as you think just scribe a line down the tube then cut it off leaving an inch to play with, when your ready take it to a fab shop with a TIG and they will charge you about £5 to do it, good luck with it though as it looks like you have a definate candidate for your problem

if you need to get it welded sean and it works let me know how much mate i will sort it for you

Cheers mate, gonna give it a good go without cutting it first though ;)

I use a tool for polishing which would probably be good for grinding / porting and polishing with the right burrs.

http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/foredompendantmotor.jpg

Looks like a nice tool mate, bet its not cheap though :( . My friend has a cheap argos version of that so im going to buy some decent burrs and try it out...gonna take a while though.