The mkiv Supra Owners Club

19" ok for a Supra?

Guest smith.s2k

I never said 19's were the ideal wheel, just that the 16's,17's arent. Considering the cost of a new supra when it came out, if cost is an issue to you, maybe not the car for you? Dont call me an idiot.

Im pretty sure the F40 weighed a lot less than the supra , the wheels fill the arches & look right on the car..those wheels were the really light weight ones too werent they?.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theres more to it than filling the arches, you put 18s with wide tyres or 19s on and as soon as you go over bumps with some kind of force, or drive the car hard you'll just get a load of wheel scrapes on the arches.

The fact is that when the car was released it out handled most of the competition on 17s, that was more of a priority than putting larger wheels on it.

I never said 19's were the ideal wheel, just that the 16's,17's arent. Considering the cost of a new supra when it came out, if cost is an issue to you, maybe not the car for you? Dont call me an idiot.

Im pretty sure the F40 weighed a lot less than the supra , the wheels fill the arches & look right on the car..those wheels were the really light weight ones too werent they?.

Stop acting like one then. The top chief big cheese on the project concluded after 8 years of R&D that 17's on a turbo were the optimum size for the car- so please state what your credentials are, how much R&D you have done and how you reached your conclusion that 17's are too small.

Ive been part of toyotas piloting & my god do they skrimp & save every single part..literally is made as cost effective as possible to max out their profit, making metal parts thinner etc. :tongue:

Maybe working for the company & seeing behind the scenes has made me cynical. Some of the stuff they do is unbelieveable.

Whatever you may think, im going to swap my 16's out for something more grippy, cause i dont think they are the best for the car.

Ive been part of toyotas piloting & my god do they skrimp & save every single part..literally is made as cost effective as possible to max out their profit, making metal parts thinner etc. :tongue:

Maybe working for the company & seeing behind the scenes has made me cynical. Some of the stuff they do is unbelieveable.

Whatever you may think, im going to swap my 16's out for something more grippy, cause i dont think they are the best for the car.

Toyota bob is back or whatever his name was? :p

Maybe you should close off the club to new people so you can all just agree with eachother as much as you like in peace. The "click" is obviously inpenetrable without some ass kissing. Disagree & get flame grilled & ripped on. Friendly!

I believe it is clique :) Okay, here is the crux of the point. Do you have any scientific fact or demonstrable facts to agree with your statement, if you do then by all means share and the view of the 'collective' can then be corrected...

I think Chris Wilson would love this thread :)

I have my 18s for looks, and my 17s for handling.

I think you'll find most large car companies (and companies generally) are like this.. otherwise you'll be paying more for your car.

ok, im gonna stop. You stick with what toyota gave you, i will look for inspiration from elsewhere for what performs best, the car just seems a bit tail happy with the original wheels, more rubber in contact with the road has to be a good thing & fk ride comfort..no not 19's. Agree to differ. Have a nice day............

ok, im gonna stop. You stick with what toyota gave you, i will look for inspiration from elsewhere for what performs best. Agree to differ. Have a nice day............

You are missing the point, if you look around, you will notice plenty of people have tried different things. Most people here will try something and then post their findings.

A few people have been here for a good while and have seen people try things with negative results. So the clique's opinoin is usually based on experience.

If you can provide some good reasoning behind your statement regarding the wheel size then perhaps people will listen, however simply stating 'Toyota were cheap, and this is better' without any solid facts is asking someone to take someone else's advice on blind faith. If I said to you stick diesel in your car, you just wouldn't do it because mass opinoin is that diesel won't work on the car.