The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift Extras?

Scott

The REAS system has a hose connected to the shock. It's very rare though, don't think I've ever seen a car with it.

I've got it. :)

The RZ was the racey version, it was only 6speed, and all came with Recaros, LSD, the bigger brakes, uprated ABS, REAS on later ones

All this too, I was fortunate as I wasn't really aware of this stuff when I was looking for a car.

Well i'm pretty sure my shocks are black so that would suggest not Blistein's. I do have the RZ though. I'm now thinking that my shocks may have been changed at the same time as the springs lol.

Scott =op

Are you sure it's an RZ? Should be ALFQZ on the model code on the chassis plate.

When you say uprated ABS is that the same kit as in the UK specs? as the JDM standard ABS is different to the UK specs.

Supposedly they uprated it somehow for the RZ. It says something about it in the 1999 product catalogue that's on mkiv.com, but it's all in Japanese so I've got no idea what's different about it.

I always understood the ABS system on the JDM cars wasn't as advanced at the UK specs... which meant you get a lot more issues with the stock traction control due to the lack in quantity of ABS sensors? Perhaps they introduced it onto the facelift models as standard. :conf:

Blimey Merckx, yours has everything! The only other Supe I've seen with factory leather Recaros (no apostrophe btw ;)) is Ashley Willis' VVTi. Very nice they are too.

Very nice :) VVTi RZ with REAS has got to be the rarest model by far.

I was very lucky, it was the first car that I had a look at too. :)

I always understood the ABS system on the JDM cars wasn't as advanced at the UK specs... which meant you get a lot more issues with the stock traction control due to the lack in quantity of ABS sensors? Perhaps they introduced it onto the facelift models as standard. :conf:

As far as I know the ABS is exactly the same on UK and J specs. The Uk traction control also uses the brakes whereas the Jspec one doesn't, but I think the ABS is the same. The wheel speed sensors are the same, because when you set up RLTC you put the same values in for them AFAIK.

• 2 months later...
Supposedly they uprated it somehow for the RZ. It says something about it in the 1999 product catalogue that's on mkiv.com, but it's all in Japanese so I've got no idea what's different about it.

The late model RZ (and SZ-R) had "Sports ABS" as standard; option on other models but goes hand-in-hand with bigger wheels/brake upgrade (if factory fitted).

The difference between Sports ABS and standard is the addition of a G-sensor, to detect and factor in 'sideways' forces on the car.

One way to determine if you have Sports ABS fitted is to look for a module (the G-sensor) bolted to the transmission tunnel, just behind the traction control switch (active spoiler switch) on the dashboard; in front of ABS ECU.

Incidentally, one other way to determine if your late model Supra is an RZ or RZ-S is the texture of your handbrake sleeve - 'leather' means RZ; all rubber means RZ-S. :sly: