The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Spoiler vs MPG

mawby

Guest dangerousandy
They must have changed thier minds after producing the documentation, either that of all of the spoiler ECU's were produced faulty with the wrong trigger speed and they couldn't be bothered to fix it. :)

I have (all genuine originals!!) the UK Supra pre-launch press pack (with photo slides!!), the UK spec pre-launch preview brouchure and an early UK spec brouchure, and they all state it should lower at 50mph..........

According to the official brochure "Front and rear spoliers counter lift, using the air-flow at high speeds to create downforce. The front spoiler deloys automatically at speeds over 50 mph"

As for the UK bonnet scoop, according to the same document it "...directs cooling air through the exhaust manifold to improve fuel consumption at high speeds". I think I'll start a new thread to discuss that one though. :)

I'm intrigued as to how a flimsey bit of plastic like the active spoiler can create significant downforce :search:. The brackets holding it to the car aren't substantial enough to transfer any serious forces either. I also can't see how it's shaped to generate any low pressure areas to aid downforce - it's practically a flat surface that's exposed to the oncoming airflow. Perhaps Tony can add some thoughts regarding the aerodynamics of it? :)

Something tells me it's more of a cosmetic addition and a "look at what we can do" from Toyota.

I genuinely haven't noticed any changes to the car without it, except that it doesn't look as cool ;)