The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blocking off rear wiper arm hole on hatch?

Homer

damn, thanks for the info mate.

Do you know what size it is? If it isn't 34mm, then thats good - but I don't have an A1 motor store near me, only maplins and halfrauds. Or of course ebay - but then I'll be buying a pack of 200 odd... lol

Thanks all! :) Posting this in case anyone else finds it useful:

Removal of the rear wiper was quite easy.

1. Lift up cover over rear wiper arm spline, use 10mm spanner to undo nut.

2. Carefully wiggle the wiper arm and blade up and off the spline of the motor.

3. Remove rubber cover, and CAREFULLY use a pair of molegrips to undo large nut underneath.

4. Open boot, and remove trim on underside of hatch. This is held in by several clips that pull out with a bit of force - just make sure you pull at points close to the clips to avoid snapping/cracking the plastic

5. You should now see the motor and associated cabling. First - unplug the connection to the motor.

6. Using a 10mm spanner, undo the 3 bolts holding the motor to the hatch. These are partly captive, so may not come all of the way out, but will detach from the car.

7. Remove the motor from the hatch by gently rocking until it pops out.

8. Remove the rubber sections that are left in the hole on the hatch. One from above, and one from below.

9. The hole once exposed is 26.5mm diameter (approx). A 25mm rubber grommet from halfords (£1.49 for pack of 3) will fit, but is very slightly loose so will need a bit of silicone on the underside of the lid.

10. Refit boot trim by pressing clips into place.

I have pictures I can put with this, but don't really think anyone needs them as it's quite easy to do :)

If anyone knows of a source of grommets that will fit a hole of 27mm, please let me know - I would love a better fitting grommet! :)

Ta

• 3 months later...

Going back a couple of years, i did a similar thing to my Fiesta XR2i, back on the MK3 fiesta's on the stock models they never put any rear wipers on them, the hole that was there was blanked off with a proper metal water tight and screwdriver tight cover held on with a solid metal C type clip on the inside of the car, Ford still sell these as spare parts, I would imagin these are similar size as to the hole that is left on the supra... These can be painted as well if wanted. ;)