The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10W-60 oil

AJI

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chat with the "Product Maintenance and Development Chemist" at Millers the other day, I raised a few of the points mentioned in this thread and I'm sticking with my 10w60 - I won't go into detail on my reasons behind this but a summary of it would include words such as "does not make sense", "vested interest", "don't stand up" and "contradicts" - YMMV

I won't go into detail on my reasons behind this but a summary of it would include words such as "does not make sense", "vested interest", "don't stand up" and "contradicts" - YMMV

And the guy you spoke to did not have a vested interest? :rolleyes: I think I would prefer to listen to someone who sells a range of different oils rather than someone who works for a specific company selling one brand.

And the guy you spoke to did not have a vested interest? :rolleyes: I think I would prefer to listen to someone who sells a range of different oils rather than someone who works for a specific company selling one brand.

I've typed 3 replies to this now, all of them come across as being agressive - I'll resist for now but will attempt to come back later on.

I could say the same I'm afraid and at the end of the day, look at the facts sae 60 has too many disadvantages. You'll get better performance out of a fully synthetic 10w-40 than a 10w-60 with regards to:

Power Delivery

Fuel Economy

Vested interests my arse. I sell 10w-60 for certain engines (Alfa Romeo 3.0, BMW M5 and M3 in some cases and older vehicles with inefficient fuel pumps) but would not recommend it for your cars where 10w-40 is the recommended grade.

It's your car at the end of the day.

Cheers

Simon

Oilman

I have looked at your products, I would be grateful if you could please tell me the price per 5L of the Silkolene 10W-50. An oil change is just around the corner and I have currently been using Millers 5W-50. On reading this, maybe its time for change.

Cheers

I would have to say that considering the difference between what Toyota recommend and 10 - 60 I wouldn't use it. But to be fair the difference between 10 - 60 and 10 50 is not huge so I wouldn't think you would see any damage doen considering how often most of us change the oil on our BPU's.

I would still go for the 10-50 mix though.

Just my 2p worth :D

I would have to say that considering the difference between what Toyota recommend and 10 - 60 I wouldn't use it. But to be fair the difference between 10 - 60 and 10 50 is not huge so I wouldn't think you would see any damage doen considering how often most of us change the oil on our BPU's.

I would still go for the 10-50 mix though.

Just my 2p worth :D

Erm, not quite right, there is actually quite a big difference.

The SAE band for 50 is 16.3 Centistokes (cSt) to

Typically, 10W/50 oils have a 100C viscosity of 18cSt; 10W/60 grades are usually around 23.5cSt.

But the question is, where do they stand after a few thousand miles hard use? Because of the greater amounts of VI improver polymer needed to ‘lift’ the viscosity, a 10W/60 is more prone to shear effects, so it can be expected to drop to around 19 or 20cSt; a really good quality 10W/50 such as Pro-S will only drop to about 17cSt.

Sadly, when its sheared-down 10W/60 is actually better for the engine!

Modern designs do not need very high viscosity oils. They can cause trouble with air entrainment, and cavitation inside bearings at high RPM. (So the Silkolene 10W/50 is not particularly close to 10W/60 when both are new.

Cheers

Simon

Oilman

I have looked at your products, I would be grateful if you could please tell me the price per 5L of the Silkolene 10W-50. An oil change is just around the corner and I have currently been using Millers 5W-50. On reading this, maybe its time for change.

Cheers

Vaughany

1 x 5ltr Pro S 10w-50 £37.99 delivered.

[email protected]

Cheers

Simon.

I could say the same I'm afraid and at the end of the day, look at the facts sae 60 has too many disadvantages. You'll get better performance out of a fully synthetic 10w-40 than a 10w-60 with regards to:

Power Delivery

Fuel Economy

Vested interests my arse. I sell 10w-60 for certain engines (Alfa Romeo 3.0, BMW M5 and M3 in some cases and older vehicles with inefficient fuel pumps) but would not recommend it for your cars where 10w-40 is the recommended grade.

It's your car at the end of the day.

Cheers

Simon

10w-40 is the recommended grade for a standard Supra but does that still apply to a tuned example with worn valve stem seals that gets hard track use on a monthly basis?

I stumbled across a thread on the Fiat Coupe forum earlier on, looks like they gave you a bit of a hard time over 10w60 as well ;)

http://www.fccuk.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=265912&page=0&fpart=3&vc=1

Vested interests my arse

Have some consideration for users who access the forum from work please, that kind of profanity could result in the site being blocked for them.

You only recommend the oils that you sell and do so on nearly every forum I visit even though the base membership always seems to favour an alternative until you arrive. The threads all start and end in the same way, you introduce yourself, cut and paste your facts, you then go on to rubbish their chosen oils, pimp your own products and then towards the end you've gained a new customer base. I can't fault your marketing tactics at all but I wonder if you have the interests of the clubs in mind or your bank balance when being so generous with your information.

Yes I'm a sceptic, I don't think that's such a bad thing - other prefer to join the flock and fall at the feet of your marketing machine, I'll stand back and do some more research of my own first....

You are honest with your comments, I'm honest with my feedback.

You only recommend the oils that you sell and do so on nearly every forum I visit even though the base membership always seems to favour an alternative until you arrive. The threads all start and end in the same way, you introduce yourself, cut and paste your facts, you then go on to rubbish their chosen oils, pimp your own products and then towards the end you've gained a new customer base. I can't fault your marketing tactics at all but I wonder if you have the interests of the clubs in mind or your bank balance when being so generous with your information.

Oh FFS - of course he is only going to reccomend the oils that he is selling, but seeing as he sells oils from different manufacturers surely his advice is better than that from a specific manufacturer?

And why take such an aggressive stance over his marketing? So he cuts and pastes a fact sheet - who cares as long as the information is relevant? I certainly would not like to type that lot out every time. And as for this chap selling on other forums, dont you think that envy, Miami, Paul W et al do the same? And do you think they adopt a diferent marketing approach?

Come on Michael, it seems that for whatever reason you have a bee in your bonnet over this one particular trader and your judgement is getting clouded.

all i care bout is what you suggest for the NA engine.

Due a service next month so will need to order some oil.

I do agree with CJ on he gonna recommend oils he sells, also good he sells more then one manufacturer. Oilman will always get a ribbing no one likes to be told they are wrong or they could do better by....

Just peoples views like he says people will use what they want, he just showing the facts to make you think and choose.

I used Castrol RS 10/60 for years, but now use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w-50. I agree with what oilman says, oil can start out great and be pretty poor in a few thousand miles. May try the silkolene 10/50 next. I have heard that RS is a "cracked" mineral oil, and not a true synthethic ? is this true?.

The Castrol is not a true synthetic, they can call it synthetic legally so they are doing nothing wrong, but the RS 10w-60 is a hydrocracked mineral oil.

Cheers

Simon.

Ok, I've a thick skin.

As I see it, we give advice based on databases and technical information compiled by experts who get their info from the OEM's - Why ignore it? I suppose some people just know better.

You don't have to take my advice, I'm not offended in any way as it's not my car or my money!

However, I will continue to give it for the benefit of those that want to know and learn about oils and the correct ones for their cars.

Finally, it's very important to understand that I sell Castrol RS 10w-60, just look on my website but that's a whole different story to recommending it for a car where it's not recommended in the handbook nor suitable - modded or not.

I could take the easy option and just say "yes of course it's suitable" and make a sale but no, not me. I recommend what I know is best for your cars, based on facts and a lot of homework - it's my reputation afterall.

Not such slick sales tactics afterall I feel.

Anyone for RS 10w-60 then :)

Cheers

Simon

Oilman : most of us really do appreciate your technical knowledge on oils and we find it gratifying that we have such people on this forum who can compare different oils with the backup of experience with them.

My knowledge on oils has definitely improved since you joined this BBS and I'm sure many other people are in the same boat as me.

Cheers.