The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tanabe exhaust restrictive? (single) HELP!

rob wild

I cant get my head round this, or maybe im being silly....so what the score with a full stock exhaust system in place then surely thats even more restictive but cant be as bad as you mentioned re high tempratures otherwise it wouldn't have left the factory like it?? do you mean a first cat in place and a boost controller to up it to 1.2bar, in which case I see what you mean about extra heat being generated?

Think your being silly :p My point was made about a BPU setup so it wont be running stock boost :)

I cant get my head round this, or maybe im being silly....so what the score with a full stock exhaust system in place then surely thats even more restictive but cant be as bad as you mentioned re high tempratures otherwise it wouldn't have left the factory like it?? do you mean a first cat in place and a boost controller to up it to 1.2bar, in which case I see what you mean about extra heat being generated?

Think your being silly :p My point was made about a BPU setup so it wont be running stock boost :)

Actually this was what I was getting at before Ryan, If the only mod that actually makes a car BPU is a free flowing exhaust and decat. Will removing only the 2nd cat and replacing the exhaust be enough to sufficiently affect the boost to the point where the EGT's become an issue.

What Mikey is saying (and I tried to say earlier) is that a stock exhaust will be more restrictive than the BPU exhaust system with 1st cat, so why (without a boost controller upping the boost) will the BPU system (with single CAT) be worse in terms of EGT?

Mike

Actually this was what I was getting at before Ryan, If the only mod that actually makes a car BPU is a free flowing exhaust and decat. Will removing only the 2nd cat and replacing the exhaust be enough to sufficiently affect the boost to the point where the EGT's become an issue.

Mike

Right

If you leave the first cat in on Most supra's and remove the 2nd one they will run around 1bar. 1bar on a STOCK ecu if the 1st cat is place will not hit EGT's that are not safe unless you have a fueling issue.

The point i was making on my first post is that when you start to lean out the mixture with the FIRST cat in place you will hit EGT's that are too high unless the mixture is still fairly rich in tuning terms. Stock ecu’s run 10:1 I was stating 11:1

The closer the restriction is to the engine the more it will cause the temps to rise.

What Mikey is saying (and I tried to say earlier) is that a stock exhaust will be more restrictive than the BPU exhaust system with 1st cat, so why (without a boost controller upping the boost) will the BPU system (with single CAT) be worse in terms of EGT?

Because if you take one of the Cats out it will be creating more boost than it would with a standard system and both cats. More boost = more power = more energy = more heat!

I cant comment on the egt’s on a standard exhaust so they may well be the same as with the 2nd cat removed and an aftermarket exhaust.

Another point I was trying to make is that if you are on a stock ecu with the 1st cat in place don’t run more than 1bar other wise the EGT’s will be too high

Blimey lol

Ryan

p.s Although i want to try and help as much as possiable on here i dont not have much spare time during the day and find myself on here when ever im waiting for something with work or on lunch

dont go to big Rob, i found when i fitted the BL 4" it absolutely ruined low down torque and the car was awefull to drive, i know this goes against all turbo theory but the best low down performance i found was with the cat in !, the car felt like stock again, obviously this hurts top end, but i think it demonstrates exhaust size does have an effect on torque even with turbocharged cars