The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tax renewal or garage till Spring?

suprattgaz

Your thoughts please...Never done it before but am in the position where i could do it this year (garage of my own:sly:). I'm in a real quandry, it is now a toy as I have a "commuting" vehicle. I always slated people for taking these beauties off the road when they are there to be enjoyed. Is it worth the money to keep it off SORN, or just pay up and keep it on? TAX due end of this month, and purse strings are tight (hence selling bonnet, if you happened to have missed it for the past 6 months LOL:D)

i use it about once a week for a play, or Friday drive into work (70 miles round trip). Plus general posing - u know what I mean;):p

Anyone do it?pros n cons?

if you're gonna use it, tax it. last thing you want is to be caught by an ANR (automatic number plate recongnition) camers. chances are you could end up having it crushed. seen this happen a few times in my local area. the cops setup a camera, pull over cars, and have a transporter waiting. once its full, off to the scrappy it goes :blink:

if you declare it sorn and take it off the road, you'll save a load on fuel costs and tax. if monneys a bit tight, its a no brainer really. just means you gotta wait till spring to drive her again ;)

Nice one, cheers!

just bought myself one. from the reviews its a decent piece of kit. theres a thread on here somewhere about it too. wish i'd found out about it 3 years ago - the number of batteries ive killed by constantly charging and discharging them :(

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but if you're that strapped for cash I'd sell the b*gger and start living a better life. It's nice to have a weekend plaything, but if you're sturggling to pay £95 for 6 months tax the other running costs must be killing you - insurance, petrol and servicing

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but if you're that strapped for cash I'd sell the b*gger and start living a better life. It's nice to have a weekend plaything, but if you're sturggling to pay £95 for 6 months tax the other running costs must be killing you - insurance, petrol and servicing

Huh, perish the thought!!!:badidea:

Nah I could not do that. She is paid for, so even if I couldn't afford to run her I could leave her in the garage until such time as i could. We are no where near that bad (apart from mortgage hardly any other debts, which is pretty good in this day and age!!!), just the money could be better spent as it has sat in the gargae for a month now and just seems a waste - hence seeing if others have done the same (and then regretetd it which I think I would!)

My GF would never let me sell it anyway, she knows how much effort I have put into it, she was determined we buy our new house ensuring we could keep it. It is more than just a car, it has brought us new friends, and has played a big part in our lifestyle (car shows, drag meets etc etc). Getting rid is not an option.;)