The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can you drift auto

dale tt

I would NOT get something like a twin turbo Supra as your first RWD car, I'd start off with something much less powerful. They are very tail happy in so far as they have a lot of low end torque. Unless you have amazing willpower and self control you'll end up scaring yourself, if not worse, if it's your first foray into RWD, and I don't mean that patronizingly.

Good post.

That said, my TT is my first RWD car. I drove it like a geriatric granny for the first few months of ownership though!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i appreciate all that lads and do not take it bad at all.

I will driving it carefull anyway because i know how tail happy they can be.

Do you think an auto or manual, i have been offered a manual 6 speed for 6500 but isn't the colour i want but looks a nice car

Dale

i appreciate all that lads and do not take it bad at all.

I will driving it carefull anyway because i know how tail happy they can be.

Do you think an auto or manual, i have been offered a manual 6 speed for 6500 but isn't the colour i want but looks a nice car

Dale

if its a good car and well looked after you never worry about the colour;)

Guest CoolsBlue

When your at about 5mph going round a roundabout floor it keeping control of the steering or itll loose it, and the car will skid round the roundabout, on corners the back will swing so pull it back while flooring it and youll have a bit of fun:D ermm saw it on youtube:innocent:

Guest CoolsBlue
just what i was about to say, you can look like a hero coming out of junctions and car parks and maybe get a wee bit of a slide going on the roads but without the clutch you dont have much control so if it goes wrong on you your screwed, i can come out of junctions and maintain the supra sidwasy for most of the road from side to side but ive been practiseing and have been round rear wheel drive cars for a while, do not get a supra and attemp it straight away

for you to do it right youve to apreciate the car your in and its power the last thing we want to see is it buried round a lamp post

my friend sold this supra to a fella in belfast here and within two days he done this by trying to drift :( it is now in a scrap yard

http://file042a.bebo.com/14/large/2008/01/04/23/354904171a6537278509l.jpg

seeing pictures like that made me never do it again in my supra, not worth the risk, driving it is enough fun:cool:my mate tried in it in his supra, with the feeling, yea his is cool!!! and ended up damaging the front suspension

ive always had what i thought were powerful FWD cars, but having the TT is summit else, very very scary as its my 1st rwd car, so tempted to do the fast and furious style driving but theres always a little voice in my head saying " u cant drive like that so dont even try" had alot of little controlable slides on corners though, mines auto BTW

I'd listen to CW,,, get a year in something a bit less likely to wipe the smile off your face and very quickly ruin your day.

A stock tt in manual or auto is a handfull, if you must have a tt mkiv then go do a race school in some rear wheel drive cars, well worth it and give you an idea of what a beast a supra will be :D

Be overcarefull with what you buy especially as far as a twin turbo mkiv supra goes, i definetly wouldnt buy one without getting it on a ramp with a good mechanic and myself having a proper look at it.

Seen too many now that are in need of a lot of things to put them right, even some supposed low mileage cars.

has anyone else noticed the standard slip diff on a tt is well set up i find the car slides and will stay in my control were as when i get into my mates e36 m3 its a animal as the back end goes all shapes lol i think the diff in the m3 locks were as the supras is 2 way but i love it as i said before it can make you look like a hero but make sure to respect it:cool:

has anyone else noticed the standard slip diff on a tt is well set up i find the car slides and will stay in my control were as when i get into my mates e36 m3 its a animal as the back end goes all shapes lol i think the diff in the m3 locks were as the supras is 2 way but i love it as i said before it can make you look like a hero but make sure to respect it:cool:

What? :think:

ive always had what i thought were powerful FWD cars, but having the TT is summit else, very very scary as its my 1st rwd car, so tempted to do the fast and furious style driving but theres always a little voice in my head saying " u cant drive like that so dont even try" had alot of little controlable slides on corners though, mines auto BTW

so i guess you can have a slide in an auto aswell then. keep it in second and floor it i guess. :)

so i guess you can have a slide in an auto aswell then. keep it in second and floor it i guess. :)

If you floor an auto while in manual mode, it'll still kick down. I'm not entirely sure why, but I've told that if you acclerate normally in manual mode, it won't. Which is what happens anyway when you drive with it in "D". I've got an auto and haven't yet figured out why yet....

hi dale,

Firstly - Welcome.

Secondly - Listen to the mighy Chris Wilson, he is rarely wrong and speeks a lot of truth. he also know a hell of a lot what he is talking about. I wish everyone listened to the stuff he says.

And as far as im concerned my first RWD car was a NA 5 speed. I went from a 1.2 clio and when i picked it up i have to confess it scared the living crap out of me. I trundled home (about 20 mins) like a granny. I dont think i got out of 2nd.

After a while i was more confident in the car and could drive it normaly. till one day i made a wrong turning, got annoyed with myself and accelerated 2 hard out of a junction i had turned arround in. back end went one way i corrected however as it is the natural thing to do, however having never driven in this situation I panicked a little and let off the accelerator (bad) car snapped back and did a 180 and my drivers side rear tyre whacked the curb. It was the middle of summer. a hot dry day, no oil or rain or anything. There was 2 kids walking on the pavement. I missed them with the rear of the car by about a foot.

Luckily the curb was one of those at a 45 degree angle. It saved my car. No suspention damage and just pulled the tire off the rim. However it showed me what the car can easily do. Even in a 200bhp NA in nice sunny weather.

I now drive a BPU TT that is auto. i very rarely go sideways. i try to avoid it. Im no old man ether. Im 25.

However the other day i was on my way home from subway at 2am. road was empty and it was damp. i came out of where i had parked and turned down the road. It was the middle of Northampton at 2am and there was quite a few pubbers and clubbers arround. My back end slid out very easily. This time i kept my foot in and went sideways for a good 6-7 seconds. Which is quite a long time if you consider it was a strait bit of road. I must have only been doing 20 mph.

I totally undertsand. I am coming from a powerfull car (270bhp 290 ft torque) anyway but i do understand what you mean.

I want to go for the turbo because i love owning a turbo but will be very carefull when i do get it.

What would everyone do manual or auto.

its not that the car is powerfull or not. its the fact its rear wheel drive that makes all the difference. The number of cars we see smashed up on this forum in winter that belong to members is scary. most of them are people who are going through there first winter with the car.

And on a side note... we've had 2 deaths this year of foum members in car accidents... in supras

Just read through this thread and would say listen to the advice given.I've had my TT for a week now and i'm still driving it like a tart:)No where near full boost yet and thats after a year of driving a 300bhp S14.Had the rear end snap out on me a few times with out warning:(Anyway take it steady mate when you do get one.

I'd listen to all the above! I went from a 1.6 tf (which I'd had for 6 months) to a supra tt when I turned 19 this year, and if you go out with the intent of going sideways out of corners straight away, you'll be in for some new underwear.. I only really ever get near to opening mine up in country lanes and dual carriage ways, and even then you've gotta be careful :( sad to have to sell it for a house now though. It's many miles from driving a fwd car - and it's a difference that's easy to under-estimate from hearing people telling you..

That said, I haven't had it step out unexpectadly, but that's mostly due to driving overly sensibly for the first few months!

Just read through this thread and would say listen to the advice given.I've had my TT for a week now and i'm still driving it like a tart:)No where near full boost yet and thats after a year of driving a 300bhp S14.Had the rear end snap out on me a few times with out warning:(Anyway take it steady mate when you do get one.

Thats 80hp over standard in a light rwd car..300bhp silvias move like shit off a greasy shovel.They go sideways at a blip of the throttle, surprised you're not able for the supra if u had a 300bhp one tbh

Hi guys im wanting to get a tt supra but cant afford a manual.

I want to be able to have a little fun on corners and have it sideway but im afraid i wont be able to with the auto

Help me guys

Dale

If I sound rude, then I'm not sorry:

You sound like you are going to have a significant role in a very large accident.

i went froma 1.8i volvo 440 to my 3litre twin uk... with in a week had my first scare with out even thinking and ended up facing the wrong way on a main round about!!! since then i have huge respect for the car and the weather! dont even think about playing with it on a main road or even near a kerd. if u wana play find a huge car park and knock ur self out, but even then u will find ur self spinning out! not an easy thing to do

my self... im mr slow till that damn sun comes out :D then i can enjoy my car to the full