The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thinking of a N/A - turbo upgrade?

philstowell

why is it over here that everyone says if you want to better your n/a, then drop a tt lump in it and forget the n/a-t route. yet over in the states they find n/a-t a much more favourable option.

I think the American market it is much harder to souce parts for the cars meaning they are invariably more expensive. Whereas here there are plenty of scrapped Supras and parts availability is greater.

I think the American market it is much harder to souce parts for the cars meaning they are invariably more expensive. Whereas here there are plenty of scrapped Supras and parts availability is greater.

true. i guess they also have the issue of not being able to use j-spec engines either as their cars were made with the steering wheel on the wrond side meaning all the looms wont reach

well again, cheers people, maybe start looking down the n.a-tt route then, see how my pennies save? thanks alot for all the input ill make the final decition when i see how much i save and how much i want to spend at the time, if i go back to the desert again between now and then that will be 6 months unspent wages too sooooo fingers crossed :D

again ta very much, phill

But i don't regret it, the performance is great! :)

Without a doubt it is but I could of saved myself about 5k and modded a TT lump and ended up with the same hp rather than the NA lump from stock.

Mine was just shy of 600hp when it was sold and ideally needed another 2.5k spent on it for a 6spd box conversion. In my eyes there are still afew to many unknowns for big powered NA-T conversions. I know in the states they have it nailed down fine and some even running over 900hp on a stock NA block but I still think there is more to be learned over here for the power and reliability issues.

Good luck with what you do Phil :thumbs:

Without a doubt it is but I could of saved myself about 5k and modded a TT lump and ended up with the same hp rather than the NA lump from stock.

Mine was just shy of 600hp when it was sold and ideally needed another 2.5k spent on it for a 6spd box conversion. In my eyes there are still afew to many unknowns for big powered NA-T conversions. I know in the states they have it nailed down fine and some even running over 900hp on a stock NA block but I still think there is more to be learned over here for the power and reliability issues.

Mate could you expand on your ownership experience.

I remember you when you got a high 13's down the pod and you and Bromy (who's helpful but not on much) are the main NA-T's i know so it would be good to here from you.

What i'd like is your spec (stock head gasket? ECU type or piggyback? turbo? etc) back then (13's at pod) and what you have done since, maybe the mileage put on at each stage roughly and the major mechanic failures/problems along the way.

Was the cost mainly intial setup or was it pushing up the BHP?

cheers

Mate could you expand on your ownership experience.

I remember you when you got a high 13's down the pod and you and Bromy (who's helpful but not on much) are the main NA-T's i know so it would be good to here from you.

What i'd like is your spec (stock head gasket? ECU type or piggyback? turbo? etc) back then (13's at pod) and what you have done since, maybe the mileage put on at each stage roughly and the major mechanic failures/problems along the way.

cheers

No probs,

Firstly then high 13 spec,

XSPower T60 Turbo

2mm Headgasket

100mm 4 Core intercooler

50mm External Wastegate

Custom made equal length exhaust manifold

Stock Injectors

Walbro Fuel pump

Apexi AVCR - Runing .6bar

Apexi SAFCII

De-cat

RS*R ExMag II Exhaust system

Cusco coilovers

Front & Rear strut braces.

Lastly at Shakespere raceway I ran mid 12's,

XSPower T70 Turbo

100mm 4 Core intercooler

Stage 4 6puk clutch masters clutch

Head work

50mm External Wastegate

Custom made equal length exhaust manifold

600cc Injectors

Walbro Fuel pump

Apexi AVCR - running .8bar

GReddy Emanage Blue

De-cat

RS*R ExMag II Exhaust system

Cusco coilovers

Front & Rear strut braces.

Was the cost mainly intial setup or was it pushing up the BHP?

cheers

Both really. Was around 3.5k for the initial conversion (this is TF prices btw so others will be different). I then had head work done at just shy of 1k, then the fitting of the new turbo, injectors, emanage, mapping etc

Then with the gearbox issues, think I got through 3 in the end and decided to sell up. Got the 5 speed fully rebuilt, around 6-800quid cant remember now and got it running well and setup to sell. I have now found out though it is missing early until it comes up on boost so sounds like a lead breaking down or a plug so would think it be time to go for coilpacks.

When it was running mid 13's it was fine, I was around 400bhp and it was hassle free. It was after this where problem started to arise. I think in the last 5 months of ownership i'd spent about another 5-6k on it. Plus then theres general maintenance increase like oil changes/fluids/brakes etc.

So can you confirm that in this time you had no 'engine' trouble as such just gearbox trouble?

also can you indicate what sort of mileage you were putting on the car each time?

thanks for the info so far..............interesting to here first hand.

No worries, mileage wise im struggling. Would have to look at the paper work but it was my daily driver used every day.

Gearbox was the main issue. Just never took peoples advice to go for a 6spd and stuck with the 5spd.

Mileage on a whole, the car has covered I think around 139,000km's. The initial conversion was done at around 100k I think, both very rough estimates but I know in the time I had done alot of mileage simply because I could never get out of it and i'd always take the longest root home possible :D Sometimes wish I hadnt of sold it but o'well. Too late now.

Another thing too, I'd say it needs RLTC now. Traction was becoming a real issue with the 19's and rock hard sussy even in the dry.

cheers bud, like i said, just started saving so not even started looking in to it tooooo much just yet im ganna do some good hard research before i finally decide, i just like the way they sound on films on the net and iv been told they are big singles? but oh well, cheers again for the response, phill.

you got through 3 gearboxes!! how many miles did you do a day? im concerned about putting more power through my 5 speed but i only drive about 1500-2000 miles a year in it. also what is it like when your gearbox goes? does it just not go into gear all of a sudden or can you noticeably feel it deteriorating?

No worries, mileage wise im struggling. Would have to look at the paper work but it was my daily driver used every day.

Gearbox was the main issue. Just never took peoples advice to go for a 6spd and stuck with the 5spd.

Mileage on a whole, the car has covered I think around 139,000km's. The initial conversion was done at around 100k I think, both very rough estimates but I know in the time I had done alot of mileage simply because I could never get out of it and i'd always take the longest root home possible :D Sometimes wish I hadnt of sold it but o'well. Too late now.

Another thing too, I'd say it needs RLTC now. Traction was becoming a real issue with the 19's and rock hard sussy even in the dry.

and just to clarify the engine side of things these 30-40K km's were all on the original stock engine internals just with the 2mm headgasket and headwork previously mentioned?

you got through 3 gearboxes!! how many miles did you do a day? im concerned about putting more power through my 5 speed but i only drive about 1500-2000 miles a year in it. also what is it like when your gearbox goes? does it just not go into gear all of a sudden or can you noticeably feel it deteriorating?

i would expect Gaz to reply that the gearboxes only became an issue when approaching/above 400bhp.........

Bromy has run at stock TT level and now higher on the original box and is ok so far........

what sort of power do you estimate with that and how many miles do you do?

I have not had it dyno'd since it was at 0.35bar at which it made 283rwhp so I reckon around 400fwhp now at 0.8-0.9 bar. I have done roughly 16K, but it is actually the torque that kills these boxes