The mkiv Supra Owners Club

15-16th Jan NEC ?

AJI

Are any of you guys going to the International Motorsports Show next weekend?

I'm going down with the intention of sourcing some sponsorship for my racing. I was wanting to also ask you guys what angle would you approach such a thing?

I've been looking to get sponsored for a few years now as I've held a racing licence for over 3 years. I've done 6 Formula Ford races (with 5 wins and one 2nd place finish), and I've produced a portfolio of my racing achievements to date.

The problem is that I'm in a catch 22 situation; to attract sponsors, they want a driver who has already had championship experience. And to get into a championship in the first place I need sponsorship (or very rich parents - which is the case for the majority of drivers who race in the UK today).

I've already tried the usual route of sending off loads of e-mails/letters etc. with not much luck. And the next step is to try and talk to companies involveld in the sport in person.... hence the show at the NEC.

So do you guys know of anything else that I could be doing to attract companies to handing over amounts of money so they can advertise their logos in the racing environment?

Cheers.

Do what I did a few years ago in South Africa re touring cars... ( I had a trial, but wasn't up to scratch that day, but it was worth it), be a cheeky bastard, phone and go down and visit them and talk to them...

It is very easy to say no down the phone, but most people face to face find it difficult to say no... so maybe one or two of them might bite... it is a hard struggle to find sponsors... but best of luck, and don't give up....

Gav

I am currently saving up for a test session in a Formula Renault, but test sessions are only for the team manager to see if you're upto scratch and for him to decide if you've got potential to race in his team. I still have to find a sponsor to provide the season's budget.

I'm now starting to get a number of contacts in the racing world. I already know a number high profile racing drivers and can speak to them in person or over the phone when I want to. But the thing with racing drivers is that they are reluctant to point you in the direction of sponsors who will readily give you money..... because once you find a sponsor prepared to pay you... you keep them all to yourself!

I know a few race managers and team directors who I can readily ask for test sessions etc. So everything is set up ready for a sponsor to come along. Hopefully next weekend I can come away happy.