The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DVD's clueless here

Toytown

Well, this is the O/T forum & i do own a supra, so suppose I can post here without getting shot :innocent:

I have got a normal cheapo DVD plaer on the TV

Got a (new) DVD burner in the PC

Got loads of .avi files that I love to download & watch.

Tonight I thought I would get clever & burn some to watch later on the DVD .......... WRONG :rtfm:

the DVD wouldn't look at the .avi file so after twiddling with some software I thought converting it to mpeg would do the trick ..... wrong again. This time the DVD saw it & it did play but with a few nice big vertical green bands down the screen (presumably anti-piracy)

Is there a simple answer ??

I would buy software to do it but don't know what I need.

Sorry it's a bit long & posted in muppet language, but I really know nothing about DVD :thumbs:

thanks for any advice you can offer

Cheers Darkrider

i did spend all yesterday evening reading & more reading, but it only gets worse :eek:

There is just so much to learn & I think i'm too old or too dense to take most of it in.

I did look at Nero that came with my CD burner & it's got an option to "make a video cd that will play in most players" takes ages to "convert the file, so I assume its doing something. The only bit I dont understand is the vertical green bands, the same file plays perfectly on the PC but even after converting it doesn't on the (home) DVD.

Is it all a question of anti piracy measures ? A lot of the clips I have came via shareaza etc :angry:

I'm NOT too lazy to read & learn but theres far more information on that site than I need to know !!! I read all the help stuff but most of it seems to be aimed at those wanting more than I do.

Maybe somebody here could suggest a program that woould do the job, would make life so easy ;)

Thanks Peeps

you can buy dvd home players that play loads of file formats

£79

Discs: CD-Audio, CD-Video, S-Video, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, JPEG-CD, JPEG-DVD Formats: MPEG1 (ISO11172), MPEG2 (ISO13818), MPEG4 SP (simple profile), MPEG4 ASP (advanced simple profile), XviD, MP3, WMA, PCM, Voibs-OGG Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS Video out: S-video, composite video, scart Audio out: stereo, coaxial, optical, 5.1 channel output 8 language OSD Remote control

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/dvd-players/yamada-dvx660.asp

i have even seen dvd`s that have lots of memory card slots on front of dvd too. and they play all files.

Many thanks to Monkey, Dark & Jake.

Still cant get the bloody thing to read them, but i think it must be the crappy burning software i got with the DVD. Will look back at jakes site & see what they recommend.

Thanks for the email too Dark - brilliant ;)

go to whsmith and buy the skyworth dvd player, it plays xvid, divx etc all you got to do is just drop about 4 or 5 films on to a dvd disc and away you go. I bought one before crimbo and its excellents and supports surround sound. And the best bit is that its only £30 !!!!!!!!!!

I know that people are now thinking it must look like a brick or worse but it actually looks really smart - im well impressed. now ive got the 4 alien films on 1 dvd they are amazing quality and in surround sound - what more can you want :)

I just use "NeroVision Express" to make my MPEG's and AVI's into DVD's. The quality is fine for what I'm using it for, and it really is a simple case of click a few buttons and sit back while it coverts and burns everything for you.

Great for converting music videos into DVD's and VCD's to use in the car :thumbs:

Hope that helps?

Cheers, J :thumbs:

I just use "NeroVision Express" to make my MPEG's and AVI's into DVD's. The quality is fine for what I'm using it for, and it really is a simple case of click a few buttons and sit back while it coverts

But how long does it take to convert 90mins of video?

What happens when it converts a 700mb avi file into a MPG file that's too big to fit on a DVDR?

Yeah .... I've only ever used it for music videos really, so I can't comment on that. As for how long it takes ... It all depends on what the original file format is. If the original is MPEG, then it's normally pretty quick. If the original is AVI or DivX etc .. it takes a bit longer as it has a bit more converting to do. I think you can split the file onto more than 1 DVD if needed?

The other option is using 'Tmpengc' and 'VobSub' etc etc ... but that all seemed like too much hassle for what I need!! :angry:

Cheers, J :blink: