The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine mounts

Keith C

No, my Dad and I got it over a pit and he had a good old look underneath, and it's *definitely* the mounts - it's from both sides of the engine too.

As for *why* they're oil filled - I dunno? There's certainly a lot less fluid in them now though, that's for certain.

I haven't heard any rattling, we just looking underneath as we were chasing what appeared to be a brake fluid leak. That in the end turned out to be a worn-out hose on the diff oil cooler.

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by Keith C

As for *why* they're oil filled - I dunno? There's certainly a lot less fluid in them now though, that's for certain.

NVH

Old-skool engine mounts used to just be blocks of rubber, usually with air voids in them so as to make them compliant on one direction and stiff in another, thereby controlling the ways in which the engine can vibrate while still supporting its mass. Basically the rubber acted as a crude spring.

Advanced engine mounts use the "Hydramount" type of design where you have rubber and voids filled with a fluid. The whole module is like a little integrated spring / damper arrangement and gives much better control over the engine vibration and isolation from the chassis.

Well, it's not as bad as I feared. My local Toyota garage want £300+vat for the job, and I'll probably get them to do the cambelt at the same time (another £200 quid :( ).

Not too bad really. I would consider taking it round to Leon, but the sheer ease and convenience of the local garage, plus it'd cost me a fair bit in juice to get there, means I may as well get it done local. Also means that if something goes wrong (not saying Leon would do a bad job, but you know what I mean), it's a bit easier to get the car to them and say 'sort it'.

Cheers for everyone's input though.

Learn something every day:eek:

I checked out the MKIV ref and sure enough fluid pockets two in each. The mounts have been redesigned with the fluid at the top to slow heat transfer to the rubber. Looks like a design fault.

Anyone changed these yet or know if it is a DIY job.?

Guest Martin F

By the way the later mounts have a tendency to fail.

The older type (93-95 I think) are more robust.

Our American friends have seen quite a few of these failures on later cars. Also TRD do make upgraded engine mounts, but i'm not sure how easy they are to get hold of, also noise would be increased.

I'm using McCarthy in Sidcup. I know Rob on here has a bit of a nasty one with them when they did his cambelt, but I've used them for years and and not had any probs, as have my parents.

They're quite happy to work on imports too, with no premium.

Thanks for the info. Keith . I posted a similar query on one of the earlier versions of the BBS , as I'm getting symptoms as described on the US mkiv site ;`popping' noise when taking up drive & on left-right-left turns - like on medium roundabouts .... but no sign of any oil leaks .

I've used McCarthy in the past & they came across as very professional ... although I was suspicious when they suggested the exhaust manifold on my then 5 year old celica would soon need replacing due to rust !? ..... let us know how you get on .

Myles