The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on rebuilding the VVTi 2JZ-GTE engine

osso

I dont think this topic has really been discussed in great detail on this site before. I am currently researching as to what is involved in rebuilding a VVti 2JZ-GTE engine to operate at around 600~700bhp or more, I understand that the Crankshaft is already a forged component in the supra engine, however im not sure at this stage how much power the stock crankshaft is able sustain.

I didnt realise how much was involved in rebuilding an engine until i started my research. I dont have a mechanical background, being a software engineer but i do have enough common sense to put two and two together.

There are a couple of issues i am not sure about, I've realised that headgaskets come in several different sizes, looking at the MVP motorsports site, they come in 1.6 up to 2.0mm, how do you deptermine which size you require?

there are also valve space gappings which you need to take into account, how big should the gappings be? toyota have their recommendations, but does this remain the same for highly modified engines? im sure thats not the only considerations i need to take into account into rebuilding an engine, as i understand that are other aspects you need to take into account such as balancing the engine once its rebuilt.

I've drawn up a shopping list that could be required however there could be some items missing! if there are anything missing please let me know! I've also compiled a list for external auxilary engine components.

Internal Engine Upgrades

Crank Pulley

forged H Beam Rods

connecting Rod Bolts

Mains Studs

Head Studs

Clevite Bearings

HKS Valcon Plus Vcam Kit Pro Inlet Cam

Exhaust Cam

billets

Head Gasket

Valve Springs

Valve retainers

valve guides

valve locks

valve seals

valve seat locators

Valves

Pistons

piston rings

External Engine Upgrades

uprated breather system

uprated timing belt

uprated engine mounts

uprated oil pump

uprated water pump

updated alternator

I've missed out the crank shaft, but i'd be grateful if someone could shed some light as to how much power it can take.

Cheers.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer all your questions, as i'm not yet completely familiar with this engine yet, but most of what you have listed will build you and strong engine that could take you past 700BHP with the right turbo,

head gaskets, depending on what turbo and boost combination you intend to run, for instance as a guideline the more boost pressure, the thicker the head gasket! the effect is to lower the compression ratio in order to prevent detonation at higher boost,

as for valve clearances, the makers usually stipulate an ideal Clarence.

you might want to concider an uprated radiator and intercooler,also you need to think about fuelling, bigger injectors, uprated pump/s and some form of engine management.What do you mean by "billets"

Hope this helps.

I am currently considering the HKS F-Con V Pro ECU, I have a stock bpu system so the fueling and cooling will have to be upgraded. however i am currently focused on the components the engine internals, so i can work out a budget for a future project ;)

I didnt realise that the size of gastket could lower the compression ratio, which would prevent detonation!

I believe the billets are the componets that secure the exhaust and inlet cams to the valve head! not sure if thats the correct terminology! :D

I can't answer all your questions, as i'm not yet completely familiar with this engine yet, but most of what you have listed will build you and strong engine that could take you past 700BHP with the right turbo,

head gaskets, depending on what turbo and boost combination you intend to run, for instance as a guideline the more boost pressure, the thicker the head gasket! the effect is to lower the compression ratio in order to prevent detonation at higher boost,

as for valve clearances, the makers usually stipulate an ideal Clarence.

you might want to conceder an uprated radiator and intercooler,also you need to think about fuelling, bigger injectors, uprated pump/s and some form of engine management.What do you mean by "billets"

Hope this helps.

My input is below:-

Internal Engine Upgrades

Crank Pulley - WNY?

forged H Beam Rods - YES

connecting Rod Bolts - YES. ARP

Mains Studs - YES. ARP

Head Studs - YES. ARP

Clevite Bearings - NO Toyota.

HKS Valcon Plus Vcam Kit Pro Inlet Cam

Exhaust Cam

billets - what?

Head Gasket - Toyota

Valve Springs - ALL FERREA

Valve retainers

valve guides

valve locks

valve seals

valve seat locators

Valves

Pistons - JE are now very good, weisco also good.

piston rings - JE Total seal.

External Engine Upgrades

uprated breather system - Not required, stock system is good enough. If you go this route make sure you are adding a

uprated timing belt - No toyota unless you are planning on a large redline

uprated engine mounts Yes TRD

uprated oil pump - No Toyota

uprated water pump - No toyota

updated alternator - Not required unles syou are an ICE Gimp

I've missed out the crank shaft, but i'd be grateful if someone could shed some light as to how much power it can take. - Not required, but balancing and polishing required

Cheers.

ARP rods and studs, with FERREA valve sets are what I currently have in mind.

Interesting you've mentioned using the stock toyota headgasket.

I am currently considering the Boost logic turbo kit, where you can purchase crank pulley! Something to do with balancing perhaps?

as mentioned before, i thought the billets are used the secure the inlet cams and exhaust cams?

you two step slowly away from the keyboards....... back up......keep going.....10 paces..........turn.....................................................................................................................FIRE!!!!!

:p

In your opinion maybe... :rolleyes:

James, the offer of a demo drive still stands mate :)

:thumbs: cheers dude! I will sure to give you a shout next time I am in the maidstone area! :thumbs: been rather busy lately decorating!

I do wonder whether I actually have the time and patience to build a high performance supra from virtually scratch! I remember the hassle CJ went through tuning and mapping his fat ass orange mobile! Yet I still dream of a 500bhp+ supra!

What did you think back to back with the BL? I found the BL to be laggier but stronger top end where the PHR was more responsive but seemed to strain at the top. OF course it caould all be down to the map.

IMHO, one single kit performs very much like another one. The PHR kit on the car I drove had a larger turbo than mine, so a fair comparison isn't possible.

I do believe that outrite drivability is mainly down to cams, injectors and mapping. The later being the key that should bring them all together successfully.

I didnt realise that the size of gastket could lower the compression ratio, which would prevent detonation!

I believe the billets are the componets that secure the exhaust and inlet cams to the valve head! not sure if thats the correct terminology! :D

If you fit a thicker head gasket the volume of the combustion chamber will obviously increase. You can use a thicker gasker to compensate for the removed material after having the cylinder head skimmed, leaving you with the original combustion chamber volume. Using thicker gaskets to lower the compression ratio is not ideal but it's a lot cheaper than replacing the pistons.

Billet is just a blank piece of metal that has been machined into a custom part. It could be anything.

And you would give a guarantee with that? We guarantee every engine we build to the power figure quoted.

Do you rebuild every engine when a customer wants to fit a single turbo ???

I think Mr Chief was reffering at what a standard engine can take. Assuming a 2JZ engine is in reasonable condition, it should be able to take 500 bhp without issue, providing it's set up correctly.

Do you rebuild every engine when a customer wants to fit a single turbo ???

I think Mr Chief was reffering at what a standard engine can take. Assuming a 2JZ engine is in reasonable condition, it should be able to take 500 bhp without issue, providing it's set up correctly.

LOL no of course not, only if it is required. For example we guarentee all our work, and that includes some life out of the engine after. So if someone came to us with a 100k Engine and asked for 600bhp, we simply would not take that on without a rebuild as in teh long run it will cost the customer more money.

I remember the hassle CJ went through tuning and mapping his fat ass orange mobile!

My car is a bit upset that you called her fat. She says it better be the p-h-a-t one, as in cool or she's gonna have words with your car. :D

My car is a bit upset that you called her fat. She says it better be the p-h-a-t one, as in cool or she's gonna have words with your car. :D

I met her while she was being keenly fondled and sprayed by Dude when the single turbo fitted! I remember back then I saw a chubby custard :D