The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Free FCD for VVti

Alex

Well this'll save you money...I think

First of all,

DISCLAIMER - I take no responsibility for your engine!

I realised the other day that I was suffering fuel cut - despite having an eManage with it's built in Boost cut limit. Strange I thought...till I realised in one of those glaringly obvious moments that the Fuel Cut is controlled by the MAP sensor and mine uses a MAF...doh. So the signal i'm adjusting is nothing to do with the MAP.

DOH.

So I ordered an FCD...well a kind BBS member offered me one FOC for a test.

Whilst I was waiting for it to arrive, Ian asked me if I'd tried just pulling the hose off of the MAP sensor and bunging the end? I hadn't. The MAP sensor AFAIK only controls Fuel Cut on a VVTi so by taking the hose off it would never see anything other than atmos pressure.

I tested it last night, making sure I'd bunged the hose properly so I didn't have a boost leak. Result, lots of WOT and not Cut :D

Free FCD for me :) Obviously if I find any issue with it I'll let you know, but it seems that certainly on a single equipped VVTi you don't need an expensive FCD and the same could possibly be said for a UK spec.

Quick reminder though...I have an external wastegate that controls the boost rock solidly...with my mod a decatted VVTi will possibly have run away boost and no Fuel Cut...so be very careful. But it could be £100 saved :)

• 1 year later...

As you look at the engine from the front of the car, the inlet manifold / plenum is on the right hand side. On the left hand side of this, about in the middle, you'll see a plastic sensor (iirc it says 'turbo pressure sensor' on it, this is the MAP sensor) bolted on with a electrical connector and boost hose onto it. This hose is the one you want.

Cheers,

Brian.

I believe this works the same for UK spec cars too, I have an FCD on mine just to be safe, but if someone wants to try it........

"While this works great in disabling the fuel cut to run high boost, it also interferes with other important operations such as:

- 9V to 12V fuel pump operation (perform the 12V fuel pump modification to fix this, otherwise, you are risking detonation when the #2 turbo kicks in).

- Prespooling the #2 turbo properly. There is a large boost drop just prior to the #2 turbo kicking in. The Greddy BCC lessens the boost drop. The TTC mod fixes this.

- EGR operation (Disable the EGR system to fix this).

- idle control (doesn't seem to be a problem)."