The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UWCB Event

foggy147

Like an idiot I signed up for one of the UWCB events. I'm already 5.5 week into training with only 2.5 week till fight night.

Really struggled tonight in terms of loading combos. Has anyone here done one of these events? Any top tips for the fight?

Like an idiot I signed up for one of the UWCB events. I'm already 5.5 week into training with only 2.5 week till fight night.

Really struggled tonight in terms of loading combos. Has anyone here done one of these events? Any top tips for the fight?

I did one in January, box twice a week and do mma twice a week. Have done for a long time. My UWCB fight got stopped in the 2nd round as we both lost our contact lenses! Lesson learned for next time, doing one in December.

The biggest tip I can give you is to control your breathing and technique. A lot of people steamroller into the first round and gas themselves out.

Keep moving, keep relaxed, keep loose. Use your jab to confuse and disorientate your opponent, and practice bobbing/weaving and blocking.

The openings will appear in front of you and that's when you take your chance.

There's a guy called Mitt Master Matt - if you can take a look at his website do so, he's an excellent technique/power instructor.

I did one in April last year and there are several others on here who I'm sure will make themselves known. My only advice is just train as hard as you can and enjoy it on the night. As already said try and control the adrenalin, some of the others blew themselves out in the first 30 seconds. No one learns to be a boxer in a few months, the best you can hope is that your opponent has learnt less than you and hasn't trained as hard. I found the training brilliant and have continued to do it even though the likelihood of me being matched again are zero.

I loved every second but was easily beaten, my opponent was half my age, six inches taller and a much better boxer. My only concern was that I couldn't give as good a fight as he deserved, but as an experience it is unbeatable. Herol Graham was a guest on the night in a crowd of 3,500. He confirmed I had no future as a boxer but I did point out that he three years younger than me and retired 20 years ago.

I attended a chefs V waiters night in London, it was a fantastic night and great fun, you could see those who had trained hard and those who just turned up, as mentioned the biggest fail on the night was blowing yourself out in 30 seconds and then getting picked off while you catch your breath

Hope you enjoy it

• 2 weeks later...