The mkiv Supra Owners Club

head gasket sniff test

hodge

im doing some work on another members car and it has a suspected head gasket issue causing overheating. Could someone explain how to do a sniff test. Im under the impression you add something to the coolant and it changes colour If it comes into contact with exhaust gassess.

Many thanks

John

A sniff test also known as a tk test,co test,block tester works by sampling the air in the cooling system at the radiator filler,when combustion gas is present it causes the testing fluid in the tester to change colour.

What sort of testing fluid and how can it be done. could you do me a how too or something please.

A freebie for you :) If the head's warped and you skim it you'll probably have trouble. Measure the cam shaft bearing saddles for straightness with an engineering straight edge. People forget the cams are ground straight and hate running in journals that are banana shaped over the (considerable) length of the straight six head. They'll either break, or wear themselves and their bearing housings in the head, very badly. Line boring cam caps is going to cost more than a new head, let alone a straight used one.

A freebie for you :) If the head's warped and you skim it you'll probably have trouble. Measure the cam shaft bearing saddles for straightness with an engineering straight edge. People forget the cams are ground straight and hate running in journals that are banana shaped over the (considerable) length of the straight six head. They'll either break, or wear themselves and their bearing housings in the head, very badly. Line boring cam caps is going to cost more than a new head, let alone a straight used one.

I'm always apreciative of freebees matey LOL. Cheers for that if it is the head gasket I'll look into it.

Now that's what I'm talking about matey cheers

Guest drlee

Do as they do,smell it yourself,if you smell fuel in the coolant,shes shot,if not,look elsewhere,i may get shot for this.But if we were on the roadside,what is the first thing one of you guys would do.I appologise if yet again im being outspoken.d