The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bpu reliability

boromfccup

I don't see how you can expect the same level of reliability when you're pushing the turbos, engine, drivetrain and brakes harder!

Nevertheless, my BPU supra has been faultless for over 4 years. But I've done less than 30,000 miles in it, and I don't thrash it everyday :)

As Jake said - no you won't retain the same reliability.

BPU will put much more stress on the entire drive train which causes additional wear on turbo's, gearbox, clutch, diff, brakes, etc. Therefore parts will wear quicker and potentially fail where they may not have with the car left stock.

However, many here have had BPU for years with few if any issues. Here's a thread from a while ago which lists a few members experiences: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=74903

I don't see how you can expect the same level of reliability when you're pushing the turbos, engine, drivetrain and brakes harder!

Nevertheless, my BPU supra has been faultless for over 4 years. But I've done less than 30,000 miles in it, and I don't thrash it everyday :)

Not all BPU will reduce reliabilty you have to remember any car has a lot of restrictions built into it to make it comply with emissions and noise regulations. A lot of BPU will just remove these restrictions and let the engine perform as it was designed to do so it shouldn't be much less reliable. The engine was designed to work without these restrictions so it should work without them, what you hae to consider is that most cars with BPU will be driven much harder. I am only talking about exhaust and inlet restrictions though once you start fettling with the boost the turbos and engine are going to start getting hammered.

im thinking about going bpu could anyone tell me if you still maintain the stock reliability

Of course not, do think you'll get 80odd extra bhp in exchange for nothing?

If done properly then you'll avoid engine damage and additional loads that exceed Toyota's generous safety margins.

But the turbos will be spinning too fast under full boost. Their life will be seriously reduced once a FCD is fitted and you regularly go over 1 bar.

Stick to half-way-BPU and you retain stock reliability;)