The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay ssqv bovs... anyone got one??

Jim_1979

I've got some pump forge dump valve on the car at the momet and used to have a HKS SSQV on my pulsar.

Seen those ones on ebay for about £45, and as far as I'm aware they're copies. Does anyone have one of these, or know of anyone who does??

Curious as to what they are like and how they compare with the proper HKS item.

Also, how would I go about fitting it as it doesn't come with the supra fitting kit.

thanks!! :)

They're going to be as good as any other copy - they may or may not fail at some point. TBH not much different to branded parts!

Without the fitting kit it will be a pain to fit to a stock car unless you have an IC hardpipe you can have a flange welded too.

i got one off flea bay for 45 quid and it had the wee t peace for connecting it onto a rubber hose but the problem i had is there aint much room to fit it and when i closed the bonnet it broke the wee return pipe clean off and i lost it:blink: so i got 4mm break pipe bent it 90 degrees and slightly modified the hole with a drill and glued it in :cool: now the bonnet closes she is louds as fu3k and looks the part:eyebrows:

its a hell of alot better than the gay greddy one that was in there:d

but I don't see how you could connect it without a flange/adapter?? The hosing is only 2cm diameter max and the BOV as is has a massive hole without anyway of connecting it. Unless you have the supra specific kit.

If you get what I mean??... or I hope someone does.

You have a picture you could post up so I can have a look mate?

Guest Cuthbert

I bought a copy from "Jap Andy" on ebay for about £70, a flange from the U.S for $20 delivered & a reducer hose for £12.

It works fine with no problems & flutters just like it should do + comes with one of those inserts that HKS do.

Personally I think the genuine ssqv's are way, way over priced.

Oh, there is just one problem with is.........it's red. Get over that & you're laughinh.

Yeah... would be going on a stock car, but tbh... no idea how I would fit it!! Anyone got any ideas?

I know it's a NA-T install guide but this should give you an idea how to fit the dump valve.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265691

scroll down to the part that showing how a dump valve is to be fitted, has the TT got some sort of re-circulate thing for the turbo? if so thats where you would be looking at first.

I haven't got a TT so I'm not sure.

never bought a Turbo car, I like doing conversion ;)

I know it's a NA-T install guide but this should give you an idea how to fit the dump valve.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265691

scroll down to the part that showing how a dump valve is to be fitted, has the TT got some sort of re-circulate thing for the turbo? if so thats where you would be looking at first.

I haven't got a TT so I'm not sure.

never bought a Turbo car, I like doing conversion ;)

I know how to fit a bov.. just wasn't sure how to do it without the official bits and bobs!

Guest Cuthbert
I know how to fit a bov.. just wasn't sure how to do it without the official bits and bobs!

Like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HKS-SSQV-BOV-Flange-Turbo-MR2-SUPRA-CELICA-GT4-Starlet_W0QQitemZ250036079827QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or like this http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/universal/blow_off_valve_adaptors.htm

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

WTF is all that shit messing up the url links?!

lol thats the adapter i was on about :D sorry if i confused u but the only problem is there aint much room to fit leaving u with two options

a. mount it with the hole pointing up (the bit that releases the air)

bad point close the bonnet and the sound profing drounds it out :(

b. mount it with the hole facing down (the adjuster screw facing up) then u have the problem of the return pipe breaking like mine when u drop the bonnet :(

so the safest bet would be to buy the supra kit and valve of flea bay at 80 quid that way itll fit straight on:cool:

lol thats the adapter i was on about :D sorry if i confused u but the only problem is there aint much room to fit leaving u with two options

a. mount it with the hole pointing up (the bit that releases the air)

bad point close the bonnet and the sound profing drounds it out :(

b. mount it with the hole facing down (the adjuster screw facing up) then u have the problem of the return pipe breaking like mine when u drop the bonnet :(

so the safest bet would be to buy the supra kit and valve of flea bay at 80 quid that way itll fit straight on:cool:

For £80?? I havn't found that anywhere on ebay for £80. You got a link mate?

the replica is very cheap, I haven't hear them sound but some of them have it listed there and say they suppose to sound the same, not sure myself, but hey if they look the same and sound the same then I would just stick with it. what harm :D I be getting the ebay HKS copy ones myself to try out when I get my NA to NA-T, after all it is only a very little amount of money to be thrown out, no big deal if they aint the same as long as it works :)

Guest Cuthbert
Can I please add that there has ben a test done on these in Modified magazine...

They proved to be poorly made with substandard rubber used as a seal

I have tried two previously - both leaked..:(

IMHO I would not use them - but up to you of course...

One year on, no leaks yet. It looks gay (red) but it works fine & makes all the right noises.

Darragh - Yeah it will foul the bonnet if your fire blanket stuff is still attatched to it - take it off & it fits perfectly. I have mine pointing upwards.

It's about time there was an 'ebay' adapter to fit properly like the hks one really.

a bit off topic... but what is that "fire blanket" stuff all about?

its the awful black thing under ur bonnet its also used to cut the engine noise down but the dump valve will still let out a loud bang when dumped lol ive had mine a year as well and it is holding up well i had it on the gt4:d i might pull the fire blanket off now:eyebrows: