The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bolocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricky-Ricky

With fecking bells on!:bang: thought i'd take the Supra out for a drive this afternoon, since i haven't had a chance after decating it on Saturday, only found one clear bit of road, and managed to get it up to 120ish leptons 5,200 rpm mainly wanted to see if boost is reaching 1 bar as i suspect the second turbo is not coming in, and sure enough it only makes .8 bar:( anyway i'm on my way back and i thought i saw a bit of smoke haze in my mirror, a couple of minutes later i get a low oil light come on and then go out again, now i'm fairly close to home and i know its full to the max mark, so i continue, anyway it comes on again! oil pressure is fine, but i pull over into the industrial estate and open the bonnet to be greeted with smoke! FOOK!

see a trail of oil spots behind the car, look underneath and the whole fecking thing is dripping with oil:( :( panic sets in at this point and i'm thinking the worst! now to placate myself i briefly start the engine just to check i still have oil pressure, and i have so i start to be rational and have a good look, its not my drain plug fallen out, its not my sandwich plate come loose, still having visions of a hole in the block etc!:( after a good poke around i see that there is oil seeping from the joins in the front of the cam cover, so i'm pretty sure is popped the front crank oil seal!:( got it home on the RAC recovery truck in the end,

I have now got the rad out and some covers off and i'm pretty convinced thats what it is, now the BIG question is WHY? its not like i'm running high boost, the only thing i can possibly think of is that the seal has become brittle and failed! or there is some problem with the bottom end breathing!

Anyway to say i'm pretty pissed off is an understatement! I've only had it just over two months! sorry for the long post, if you have any ideas, theories they are welcome.

Just been doing some searching for oil seal problems and found a varied bunch of possible causes, one is oil pressure build up behind seal, not sure about this one as if the design is correct it should never occur, but having said that my oil pressure is high ish!

another is crankcase over pressure due to ring blow by or other, now the only other thing i can think of that would cause this is the breakdown of the ability for the crankcase to transfer/equalise pressure/vacume with the top of the engine, not sure if this is done by an external hose/tube or through the block on the Supra? will have to look in the manual!

or lastly the seal had just got hardened/brittle/fatigued and failed!

Just another thought, regarding crankcase over pressure, surely if this is happening to the extent that the crank seal pops out, then wouldn't the dipstick be blown out to? i have seen this happen on a few other engines when there has been excessive crankcase pressure.

The front crankshaft oil seal blowing is a fairly common problem. What you describe is exactly how mine went the first time, ie. seal blowing after a high speed run. On mine I had the seal replaced and 2 month later it blew again, after it went the 3rd time a month later, it was obvious that there was a big problem.

Mine turned out to be worn rings/bore, causing crank case to become pressurised, had the engine rebuilt with a brand new short block and rebuilt head, which cured the problem, that was 5 years ago and not had any issues since (goes to find some wood to touch :search: ).

I hope yours turns out to be nothing more than an old worn seal and that a new one will sort the problem. My advice would be to find yourself a good mechanic with a lot of experience with the 2JZ (Pheonix perhaps).

Good luck Rich.

Thanks :) i have been doing some more poking about on the Supraforums and found it is quite common, there seems to be varying explanations for it happening, but what baffled me is if its down to worn rings/bore causing the seal to pop, like i said in in a post further up, surly the dip stick would move way before the seal popped? anyway compression test is next, should have done it ages ago, but the power was good so i didn't worry,

the best fix seems to be three small screws taped into the metal around the seal and locktited into place so i may do that!

Must admit that if i had any spare money left after buying the Supra i would be inclined to give it to someone to sort, but i would rather trust myself with this then i'm sure its done right.

have you (or the previous owner) had the cam belt changed recently? I'm sure someone (supragold?) mentioned something along these lines on his from a sloppy job being done to take the front pulley off? Worth asking him what the actual problem was tho in case I imagined it lol