The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes - lets get the best !

Whitelightning

Oh folks, not impressed with UK brakes, had Brembos before and were ok. Who has experience of good braking systems on here ?

I have been advised that the AP 6 pots groved (not vented) are a good buy.

I need them to clear no wider than 1 cm more than UK brakes to fit the SSR Decolte Evolution wheels I have.

What size (mm) discs could I have I wonder ?

Who is an AP/Brembo fan ?

What options are open to me ?

Have you hear of the 8 and 10 pot braking systems ?

Do any Supras have those on that we know of ?

(You don't have to answer all these questions but a good discussion on brakes is always lively !) :)

tarox dont have a kit for the supra yet.. they want me and my boss to travel over to tarox in milan so the factory can design a kit for the supra as they have nothing!

im very tempted lol

Give ChrisW a call, he knows his stuff and can offer some sound advice. He's written a couple of detailed posts on here about brake setups.

I have the Brembos front and rear and couldn't be happier. A bit over kill for road use, but they're there when I need them and the quality is second to none.

AP, Brembo (now the same parent company, Brembo bought out AP), Alcon. IMO all the others are crap. Nicks Brembo set up front and rear is beautiful, but costly. The AP front kit is good, but if you want to keep the wheels you MUST try them on a car with the brakes you want to run, to be sure of clearance, or get the AP and Brembo templates and do some accurate checking. I make my own brake kits, but they are just for my own use, too time consuming to do it and expect to make money from it. My Skyline front and rear brakes are at ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/

Look in likely sounding folders.

Rotora make a very good front and rear kit...apparrently.

Here is some food for thought.

This is a comparison of all four wheels.

STOCK UK SUPRA BRAKES

Pad Area 64.56"

Brake Torque 165,097

Swept Area 545.64

Swept Area Per Ton (assuming 3,550 pound car) 307.4

ROTORA

Pad Area 88.92" (37.7% greater than stock)

Brake Torque 217,380 (31.7% greater than stock)

Swept Area 610.36 (11.9% greater than stock)

Swept Area Per Ton (assuming 3,550 pound car) 343.9 (12% greater than stock)

BTW the increase in brake torque for the rear brakes is 60% greater than stock and the car will still lock up the front brakes first.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=199&SearchYN=N

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264869&highlight=Rotora+Brake

The Rotora kit was apparrently developed on a Supra instead of someone just using the calipers that best fit.

I have no idea how they compare in performance terms with the full Brembo kit, but they are significantly more affordable. With the Brembo's all round or the Rotora kit I doubt you can go wrong.

It's all very well saying that X has Y% more pad area than standard etc, but the standard brakes are still easily capable of locking the wheels, and you can't slow down any faster than that. The other advantage to bigger brakes is that they will radiate heat away faster, so they won't get so hot and therefore fade. You'd be doing pretty well to get standard UK brakes with decent pads and/or discs to the point of fading, even on a track day though IMHO.

Standard brakes are all very good for a standard car...but TAZ is anything but standard!

His approach speeds to corners on circuits are going to be far higher than you or I can achieve and so brake fade will become a real issue....and pad area will influence brake force at very high speed.

And to answer one of WL's questions....8 or 10 piston calipers are a fad don't assume more pistons is better...you just need enough to even ditribute the brake force...AP and Brembo use 6pot calipers and I think they know what they are doing.

Whist Alcon are very good there is no off the shelf kit for a Supra...you'd have to pick the kit from their catalogue that you want and then get someone like CW to make the brackets to fit it all.

Sounds like hard work but you'd get a kit that really kick ass (not sure if you'd have a legal handbrake though!).

Alcon do upto 410mm discs FFS! lol

I believe the Rotora's also weigh less....

2 x stock front UK caliper = 13.5kg

2 x stock front UK discs = 19kg

Total 32.5kg

I know because I lugged 8 sets of the b*ggers to the post office the other day, that's over 1/4 of a ton!!

A set of Brembos are around 28kg, 4.5kg saving

Does this mean there will be a set of uk brakes sitting doing nothing??

Oh folks, not impressed with UK brakes, had Brembos before and were ok. Who has experience of good braking systems on here ?

I have been advised that the AP 6 pots groved (not vented) are a good buy.

I need them to clear no wider than 1 cm more than UK brakes to fit the SSR Decolte Evolution wheels I have.

What size (mm) discs could I have I wonder ?

Who is an AP/Brembo fan ?

What options are open to me ?

Have you hear of the 8 and 10 pot braking systems ?

Do any Supras have those on that we know of ?

(You don't have to answer all these questions but a good discussion on brakes is always lively !) :)

I have the AP 6 pot fronts on mine.

Compared to the J-specs I had, let me say just 1 word....

Awesome.

The only downside is that they produce *a lot* of dust (which is more a function of the pad's supplied in the kit than the caliper/disc components obviously)

I've dealt with AP/Brembo (and both before the two became 1) for both F1 and road going applications, they both were, and now are extremely proficient in what they do.

As far as the choice between AP/Brembo components, I personally would go with the Brembo's as they do a rear kit, whereas AP don't. (I like continuity!)

If you're going to Bonvingdon, you're more than welcome to try and fit one of your wheels on my car to check fitment.

As far as the choice between AP/Brembo components, I personally would go with the Brembo's as they do a rear kit, whereas AP don't. (I like continuity!)

Another reason to go for the Brembo's is that AP Racing kits seem to have a fixed price in every country, however the Brembo's don't ;)