The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Little bit of help plz....

nismo_lp

Would either of these problems turn the engine management light and warning on once you bring it back to idle?????

Problem 1: I don't get a 2nd turbo rush, it just seems to sit at 0.8bar.

The second turbo isn't kicking in. This usually means your IACV isn't opening - the turbo is trying to spin up but can't flow any air, so #1 turbo does all the hard work.

By the time #1 turbo is producing 0.8bar at 5000rpm it's way beyond it's efficiency map and is overheating the air and overspeeding the turbine. Try not to do this too often.

Problem 2: I don't get a 2nd turbo rush, and as soon as I should it dumps all boost instead.

The IACV is opening but the second turbo isn't spinning. All the air boosted by #1 turbo now has an easy path back to the non-pressurised side of the turbos via a non-spinning #2 turbo. In effect, it all goes 'backwards' through #2 instead of going into the engine. You'll maybe see .2 or .3 of a bar of boost but that's about it.

This usually means the EGCV isn't opening. The turbo can't spin as it has no exhaust gas flow path. Although annoying, this won't do long-term damage as #1 turbo won't generate much boost because the engine loses a lot of power, so no overspeeding or overheating.

I've never had the engine management light come on, but last time i had a problem with the 2nd turbo not spinning, and dumping all the boost when it should engage, it turned out to be a blown turbo.... I'd try putting into TTC mode, if you find you dont get any boost whatsoever chances are it is a blown second turbo.

one way to stop all your boost from being dumped is to disconnect the IACV pipe, this will probably also confirm a blown second turbo (thats if you find that boost is no longer dumped)

I've never had the engine management light come on, but last time i had a problem with the 2nd turbo not spinning, and dumping all the boost when it should engage, it turned out to be a blown turbo.... I'd try putting into TTC mode, if you find you dont get any boost whatsoever chances are it is a blown second turbo.

one way to stop all your boost from being dumped is to disconnect the IACV pipe, this will probably also confirm a blown second turbo (thats if you find that boost is no longer dumped)

The second turbo has come online all but say 2 or 3 times!???

The second turbo has come online all but say 2 or 3 times!???

if you don't drop your foot and slowly but not to slowly give it large I.E let no1 come in then press down more as you would for more power does no2 come online?? you will notice no2 coming online 4000 rpm and off you go..there will a power loss just before no2 comes online but after that whoo hoo then try and keep a steady acceleration up to as much as you can..if fcd or tsd not fitted then that will be with the mph conversion about 120 mph then you will hit a brick wall..well thats what it feels like..if that works ok try doing about 60-80 and gunning it if t2 don't come on then back off due to damage thats what i do and try slowly giving it large and see if all is ok....i do not have any warning lights come on but they are my symptoms..lets see how this goes before i take it to some one or if anone takes there car and gets it sorted let us know as if i do i will :giveup:

if you don't drop your foot and slowly but not to slowly give it large I.E let no1 come in then press down more as you would for more power does no2 come online?? you will notice no2 coming online 4000 rpm and off you go..there will a power loss just before no2 comes online but after that whoo hoo then try and keep a steady acceleration up to as much as you can..if fcd or tsd not fitted then that will be with the mph conversion about 120 mph then you will hit a brick wall..well thats what it feels like..if that works ok try doing about 60-80 and gunning it if t2 don't come on then back off due to damage thats what i do and try slowly giving it large and see if all is ok....i do not have any warning lights come on but they are my symptoms..lets see how this goes before i take it to some one or if anone takes there car and gets it sorted let us know as if i do i will :giveup:

do you think its got something to do with our 19'' rims??? lol

Doesnt sound like quite the same symptoms so im pretty sure/hopeing its nothing that extreme... we shall see!

Thanks

If you are getting a warning triangle coming up then hopefully you are logging a fault code? Read your stored codes and see if there are any that drop a hint :thumbs:

-Ian

Cheers dude ... will do...

...cant someone tell please tell me thats its something very minor and to stop worrying!??? lol

Good old 14 on the diagnostics! :) nothing major then .. hopefully!?? Time to get to them sparkplugs :)

I can understand why you guys enjoy modding/tuning and just serviceing your supes yourselfs... got so much satisfaction from just doing the diagnostics! lol

Awesome site! So helpfull ... Thanks guys! :respekt: