The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed convertor

Ian C

I've got a speed convertor. It's a simple 5/8ths divisor of the speed signal. This means although my speed signal is spot on in mph, my PAS is too light at low speeds and I have a limiter that cuts in at 180mph - not good for Ten of the Best :)

I have in my mitts a TRL TSD+DSC, so I can have the proper delimited top speed, the PAS working properly for the first time in 4 years of ownership (I thought it was normal lol), and the speed signal will still be spot on.

Of course, in order to install the TRL jobbie, I need to remove the grotty 5/8ths divider. And herein lies my problem.

I can't bastard find it :blink: I've checked the back of the gauge pod, the loom and plugs that go into the gauge pod, everything behind the left hand dash panel (I know that bit inside out now), and everything under the centre console and gearstick area. Nothing. No boxes, no splices that I don't already know the purpose of, nowt.

:dontget:

Anyone got any experience of wierd and wonderful places their speed convertor ended up?

-Ian

No, no, this is all good folks, thanks :) I've found that the speed signal goes through a big fat orange plug down in the footwell (II1) and comes back out through it as well, so I reckon it's gonna be down there. Hidden like a baby Alien.

Failing that I've figured out how to wire up my TRL unit so it delimits (might also be able to 'fix' the PAS too) without taking the existing yet invisible convertor out the loop :thumbs:

-Ian

Ian,

Why not just tap the power steering into the virgin speed signal from the gearbox pre hidden convertor? That's what I'm hoping to do when I get an afternoon free...

That's part of my plan. But - the PAS ECU is the one buried behind the passenger dashboard next to the anti-theft ECUs, notorious for being the worst thing to get to behind the dash :cry: And there is a splice point in the speed signal wiring where it branches off to the PAS ECU and the main ECU. I need to cut the wire *after* the splice point or else I'll be feeding the PAS ECU a signal from the TRL unit *and* the odometer, and I think that's "don't go there" territory. If I cut the speed signal at the odometer, my Apexi AVCr will no longer get the at-the-moment-pukka speed signal so I have to wire up the TRL unit to it and calibrate it and blah blah :blah: :) So, a pain in the ass, basically, but I'll figure something out.

Getting the delimiter in is the important thing :devil:

-Ian

Tell me more!

huh? Well that's more or less it.

Basically I ordered an all singing all dancing job from Thor, with the aim of junking my current convertor, and using it's abilities to alter the signal +/- 20% to take account of the fact that I have a 6 speed gearbox with a auto diff (my speedo reads 20% high at all times)

However after about 2 months of waiting and several phone calls, it still hadn't arrived, so I cancelled it and bought a well proven convertor http://www.blackrobotics.com/

But obviously this doesnt have all the nice 1:1 uncalibrated outputs that the Thor unit does, but then I thought why the hell do you need a convertor that takes a signal and then outputs the very same signal?? Why not just fit a normal convertor then for the feeds that you want to keep the same (in my case power steering, spoiler and possibly cruise control) and just splice them into the wire BEFORE the convertor. Should work shouldn't it?

Anyway back to Ian's thread.....

I think it has a 1:1 output as well for wiring simplicity. In fairness to the Thor bunch, I got my TSD+DSC from them in a couple of days - the courier firm (business post) extended this to about 6 days due to being utterly shit, but that's not Thor's fault.

-Ian