The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LS400 Brake Kit/Calipers (or alternatives)

Wonga Spar

Currently eyeing up a pair of used LS400 calipers and discs for sub 200 which seems particularly reasonable. I can't immediately see a lot of benefit paying (possibly?) 3x as much for genuine UK specs.

Could be wrong though! Sadly don't have 1000 to spend on a nice new set while this turbo conversation is in the works.

There are a number of choices - LS 400 , these are cast aluminium versions of the supra but the discs are are tad smaller and 28mm thick (slightly thinner ) ,and few pad choices available , they are remanufactured and quite cheap in the US around 100 dollar each mark but you need to ship -30 quid ish and may have duty to pay ,another 30 quid ish- they dont come with the hardware pins ,anti sqeal shims ,clips etc ,again around 30 quid .

they are also available from US from breakers and around 100 bucks a pair these come complete and usually in fine condition (UK breakers are usually 3 times the price and shagged ) ive had 3 sets from US all in very good condition and all sub 100 bucks .

they are also available from europe as remanufactured but around 200 quid each (effectively new)

discs from 60 quid to 150 quid a pair -315mm and pads from 9 pound a set

there is also the ls460 brakes but these need the adaptor mounts and discs redrilling ,there appears more pad selections available but due to the heavier weight of the 460 an extra 500kg these will dissipate heat better anyway (also larger discs than the supra) -wheel clearance will be the issue here .again not expensive in the US from breakers no more than the ls400 calipers

there is a tad of filing to do on the calipers no more than 2 mins worth and the rear dust cover to cut or bend out of the way , the main problem is wheel fitment , some wheels need spacers , some longer studs fitting to fit the spacers and some the studs are too long and foul the wheel hub

Any brake improvement is in the heat control and stock jspec are constantly sticking , more trouble than they are worth ,in Japan they cant be driving over 40 mph !!! I must have about 6 jspecs in a box in the shed all knackered /sticking or have stuck at some time

To be honest if you're not doing track days or really caning the arse off your car the stock NA front 2 piston slider calipers ain't as bad as people make out and are more than up to the job,for me they are anyway. Considering these brakes are also fitted as standard on some of the other heavier Lexus cars,more pistons aren't always better and when I think of my grail car the Honda NSX the front brakes are also sliding 2 piston calipers not multi piston jobbies.

Chris Wilson wrote a very interesting article on making the ordinary stock NA front brakes perform nearly as well as the UK front brakes even on track days.

Before you fit them have a close look at the outer dirt boots/seals, if they're old and drying out

it would pay you to replace them before you fit them, you wont suffer seizing pistons then later

on

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Budweg-Caliper-BCK4313X2A/906977818?iid=332232542121&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46150%26meid%3D16b9a2ddd61e4a9bbb69f127bab7238d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D272706434184&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.