The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to locate oil sensors and what is the function of this box?

Mgrene

Evening.

1) about to install oil pressure and temp. sensors.

I have read that the pressure sensor should be located where the oil enters the engine and the temp. sensor should be located where the oil exit the engine.

But how do I know which side is the exit and which side enters?

2) What is the function of this black box. There are no text written on it.

Evening.

1) about to install oil pressure and temp. sensors.

I have read that the pressure sensor should be located where the oil enters the engine and the temp. sensor should be located where the oil exit the engine.

But how do I know which side is the exit and which side enters?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/5bb4633f50437c627f4a6c899164d723.jpg

2) What is the function of this black box. There are no text written on it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/140dfba7a0f5dbc35551e75b8da19e66.jpg

/QUOTE]

Looking at your photo, your thermostat bypass valve is located on the left (with the spring showing through it). Which allows oil flow through the small hole up to the filter until oil is up to temperature.

Once up to temp, the oil bypass valve on the left is shut, forcing the oil to go through the hole located on the right side of your photo, just in front of the golden thing.

So according to what you've been told, you will want the temp sensor on the right port, and pressure sensor on the left port, according to your photo.

As for the black box. Try seeing what colour wires it splices into on the main loom, might get an idea of it's function then.

Edit: Also, I've seen that oil thermostat sandwich plate on eBay before from Chinaland. Not saying it is a bad product, but if I were you I'd test that the thermostat spring works in boiling water before sticking it on the engine. Might also be worth checking the oil pressure before and after installation, as some eBay sandwich plates have really bad oil flow qualities.

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)