The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PPS Solenoid dead?

Mike2JZ

After sticking my car back together recently I have no power steering. The pump is good, fluid is fresh, no leaks.

I went standalone so had to run new wires for the PPS solenoid on the rack back to the interior passengerside orange plug (PPS+ & PPS-) which connects to the powersteering ECU. PS ECU is still reciving speed input from the odometer/speedo circuit and is still getting power from ECU IG fuse. PPS plug by the solenoid is getting voltage and ground.

Figured I had a wiring issue which was causing the solenoid not to activate. Tried switch polarity on PPS wires and still nothing.

Thought I'd bypass the PS ECU conpletely and give the solenoid direct 12v and still nothing.

Anyone had any experience with PPS solenoids dying, or am I missing something?

Whatever you do electronically to the PAS "effort" solenoid you should still have power assist. Have you had the pump apart?

No, pump has just been swapped from my last setup onto new engine. Was working perfectly before. Fluid is good, no air leaks, no bubbles etc.

I've had this exact thing happen before when putting a standalone on another supra, but once the PPS circuit was reconnected the PS system kicked back in. Without that solenoid active, the stiffness locks itself into it's hardest setting.