PDA

View Full Version : Finally Taking the Plunge...

Dungol
05-06-15, 20:54
Hi guys, even though i joined back in 2013 this is my first post, just to introduce myself really. After 10 years of wanting to do I supra build I am finally in a position where time, money and space allow me to make a start. Currently driving a MKII Focus RS I have had a uk spec Mustang on order since January but have been told delivery is now delayed till March and 2016 customers will be taking delivery the following september. I was not prepared to wait 15 months for a 34k car that would be the old model after 5 months. Since there are no other new cars that appeal to me (within my Budget at least!) i thought it was time to take a leap of faith and build my own.

I have been skulking in the shadows following most of the ongoing builds on here for ages, you guys have had a big part in giving me the push i needed! So as of now i am on the lookout for a suitably unmolested supra for around 6k to make a start. I am going to take a run down to Whiffbitz in two weeks and hopefully the guys there can set me on the right track components wise should i tell them my goals and budget. I am a relatively competent Mechanical Maintenance Engineer so do plan on doing the majority of work myself (wouldn't want to deprive myself of any fun!)

Am sure i will be picking a few brains in the near future (after thoroughly checking existing posts for answers first of course!)

Abz
06-06-15, 04:34
Welcome to the club, as you say very knowledgeable here.

If you spent the 34k on a Supra here you'll get a car not only much quicker & more reliably than the Mustang but one that won't cost 10k after a few years ;)

Have a good read of the forum, plenty of information to digest.

Dungol
06-06-15, 04:54
Thanks mate, thats good to know. From a budget point of view i have read a massive difference of opinion as to what it costs, by doing it peacemeal i can comfortably stretch to 35 over a couple of years. ideally i'd like a 10 second car (fast and furious generation im afraid) if thats going to be out of my reach i'd be aiming for a 4 second to 60. these are things i plan on asking thw whiff bitx guys next week.

tkddav3
06-06-15, 07:32
It's not how you stand by ya car it's how you race ya car....better learn that :D

Hitbox Junkie
06-06-15, 07:41
Are you looking to get an auto and convert it to a manual? 6k will get an ok auto to start with :) but prices seem to be on the up for TT models

Abz
07-06-15, 12:31
Thanks mate, thats good to know. From a budget point of view i have read a massive difference of opinion as to what it costs, by doing it peacemeal i can comfortably stretch to 35 over a couple of years. ideally i'd like a 10 second car (fast and furious generation im afraid) if thats going to be out of my reach i'd be aiming for a 4 second to 60. these are things i plan on asking thw whiff bitx guys next week.

Spending 35k should get you a nice 10 sec street car, especially with the current turbo & ECU options out there. Ensure you start with a nice base.

A BPU auto TT will easily see you in the 4 second 62mph run, I think we have a BPU in the club which managed to get into an 11's quarter mile. Granted I believe that it had a hi stall fitted & piggy back ECU but that is pretty impressive especially when you consider a Veyron does it in 10.6 seconds. Not bad for a 20 year old car running the stock engine & turbo's!