The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering tank caps (breath or not).

hodge

I have a Whifbitz power steering tank. That came with a hole in the top of the cap and was a right pain. It would constantly spill out.

I have resorted to threading a bolt into the hole to stop this. Thus the system is sealed. I have had no issues, thus far, with the system being sealed like this.

I believe the stock system is sealed too.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

One other thing to consider would be the fact that you will need some type of plate at the bottom of the tank above the out pipe. If you don't do this and the tank is tall you will suffer from a whirlpool type effect in the tank when the pump is at full chat. This can result in air getting into the system and causing some issues.

This would be more noticeable on spirited cornering.

One other thing to consider would be the fact that you will need some type of plate at the bottom of the tank above the out pipe. If you don't do this and the tank is tall you will suffer from a whirlpool type effect in the tank when the pump is at full chat. This can result in air getting into the system and causing some issues.

This would be more noticeable on spirited cornering.

The tank won't be very tall so I recon I'll get away with it. Will be more long.

I have some lovely fabricated alloy tanks, with brackets and JIC fittings that could be used as PAS reservoir tanks, correct type of cap, too. Can post photos if interest is about. They'd polish up with very little effort, and they are brand new.

It's going to have to be a pretty custom piece for me Chris, as I want to fit it under the plenum just behind the PAS pump so height wise it's going to need to be quite thin to keep the bottom of the tank in line or above the pump feed pipe.

My girlfriend has bought one for her 350z and were having problems with it, It has a breather hole in the middle of the cap and the fluid always seems to come out of the top for some reason...

When i installed it i it did not have a min or max line so i used all the oil which came out if the OEM one which put the level about 3 cms above the splash plate. Its fine when its cold but when the engine gets hot.. when parking it sounds it bit whiny like it has slight air in the system.

We did find someone who had the same set up on there 350 and he had the oil level just below the plate so we tried that and it got worse. More oil was coming out and getting louder when the engine got hot too. So i have topped it back up and its back to how it was before. Now every journey we do the oil only seeps on the surface of the cap... Im starting to give up now and thinking of blocking the air vent in the cap or putting the OEM one back on

Here some pics

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)