The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aristo swap quesitons

DaveD

I am looking into getting a 1996 SZ-R 6-speed Supra. The purpose is to do a 2JZ-GTE swap and build it with single turbo.

So I see these Aristo motors for sale online (non VVTI). It seems like most come all ready to go with the ECU and a nice uncut wiring harness/loom.

So my question is... if I get an Aristo motor will the ECU operate exactly as needed? such as if I plan on adding a piggyback to it. Or is it recommended to purchase a JDM TT 6-speed ECU. If so how much should they generally cost? I haven't found too many for sale.

Besides the oil sump location which can be changed... is it a pretty straight forward swap? with the wiring harness from the Aristo engine work as well?

I am looking into buying these engines and then making it single turbo for about 550rwhp... then swap it into the SZ-R 6-speed.

cheers

Edited by DaveD (see edit history)

Problem with that is they aren't as easily to come by ^

and I've done aomd searching and ready around, some say its pretty straight forward and other say its lots of extra parts needed?

Aristo motors are also being advertised as low mileage which is a big want for me.

i'm running an Aristo motor in my car...was pretty straight forward in my opinion...i changed the sump and water pump to that of a supra TT so i can run the clutch fan setup..

heads up though, all gauges but tach would work easily..for the tach to work i used an MSD tach adapter (have exact part number somewhere) or you can re-wire the tach from behind the gauge cluster

all lights on dash work and diagnostic port works as well..just make sure you have someone good with wiring it up..

from what i've heard, the aristo TT tranny is the same as the supra TT tranny (auto of course), turbo's are the same etc etc..so upgrading should be easy..

hope this helps

they're easy to come by in Trinidad lol..got mine from an Aristo half cut, 1995 model (newer than my car itself lol) doing 80,000km's, which again is lower than the mileage the shell has..good choice, no?

another benefit of Aristo engines is that they are alot less hammered than a Supra TT engine..so they have more life left (in my opinion)

weigh the cost differences though, for me the Aristo was wayyy cheaper..Aristo engine and tranny/ harness/ ECU - $12,000.00 TTD or US$2,000.00 est. Supra TT engine and auto tranny $18-$20,000.00 TTD which is around $3,000-$3,500.00 USD...

I found a thread over on the American supraforum of someone that documented this swap.

It looks like I would need to get the NA wiring harness merged with the Aristo harness, this alone costs $600 USD

Also I will need to purchase about $500/600 USD+ in the main big parts such as water pump to complete the conversion.

The swap is projected to cost $4000 USD just to get this motor into is car with all the basic/required work.

This includes the cost of getting an Aristo motor with ECU and harness.

That's how much someone paid just to do it themself.

I think I will be better off finding a Supra engine. I know they are out there I just have to do some research and call around. Maybe even get one imported from Japan.

Even if I pay 1k full more, at least I won't have to convert any of the parts or the harness... STRAIGHT SWAP!

wouldnt have thought aristo drivers would be as brutal as supra drivers lol..about the swap cost though, my swap, with all bolt on parts (FMIC, aluminium rad, fuel pump etc etc) cost about US $4000.00 which is pretty good in my opinion..worth every penny :D

what about the wiring harness?

:O I stand corrected mate. I was purely going on what I had read regarding information on the smaller diff.

I shall delete this information from my brain :)

No problem. I should point out that I never launched the car on sticky tyres due to a concern about the diff capabilities, and now have a TRD centre in a B03B big diff.

the cost i mentioned included the cost to wire it all up..pretty straight forward according to the guy who did it (did the entire thing in one day)

problems with wiring encountered in my car-

1) A/C compressor step-up (easy fix)

2) Tach not working (fixed using MSD tach adapter)

3) Car idling at over 1000 RPM, fixed by making proper grounding

apart from those, easy install, all lights on dash and diagnostic port works..

Well I am looking into getting a car directly from Japan, imported.

Looks like I have some thinking to do what will be worth it. I can get an RZ for pretty cheap but has fadded paint, riced out body kit so no one wants it, or some body damages. As long as its mechanically sound. Or maybe I can score a deal on one with like 150,000 KMs+ (which go for 550-600,000 jpy on auction), then I could freshly rebuild the engine and go single turbo build right off the bat.

If I was to get an SZ-R it would need to be mint.... so with the money for my budget It would go towards the swap. Like I said I'll see what me and my exporter come up with.

Edited by DaveD (see edit history)

Actually, this is incorrect. My car ran over 700 hp on the A03B small 6 speed diff without issues.

do you find the 3.7 gearing a bit short? do you have bad traction issues gears 1-3? with 3.7 that just means faster take off compared to 3.26, you get that better power band.

do you find the 3.7 gearing a bit short? do you have bad traction issues gears 1-3? with 3.7 that just means faster take off compared to 3.26, you get that better power band.

I think it should be self-evident that 600+ hp will have traction issues in lower gears, well, at least in a street car. To be perfectly honest, I never really noticed the difference between diffs - but I've only driven it for a week since the new diff was installed, and that was after two years of not driving the car.