The mkiv Supra Owners Club

electric mirrors not heating.

LOGIE

Ok first of all I do have electric folding mirrors so I am assuming they should heat when i put on the defogger on for the rear window? Im going to have to check the circuit in side the mirror. So how get to this? Do I remove the glass in the mirror? if so how? (without breaking obviously)

Thanks for reading.

I was told that i have heated electric folding mirrors and that they are rare? with a flat 9 pin plug,keron said they are hard to come by.

Mr T wants £276.

Never seen them but I have a little incling in the back of my mind saying that they were maybe an optional extra? In the thread where someone mentioned they were building them I'm sure someone like Nic mentioned that you could buy them.

Early 96 rz tt import,It's got most of the toys like active spoiler and so on.i have been looking for one for ages ,after some .....!! smashed it off,looks like i'll

Have to get a new one over the winter at least it will come in the same colour from japan.

I have just modded my folding mirrors to be heated, what i did was brought some heated mirrors off ebay, but they don't come with the plastic surround around the glass so i removed the mirrors of the car and found that the glass has been stuck to the plastic surround with 4 bits of mastic which i cut through with a flexable blade and removed the plastic surround, the mirrors that i got of ebay where a perfect match to the originals, i then heated the plastic surround with a hot air gun so it would be a bit more flexable to put on the new mirrors (having first soldered 2 leads on the terminals), to power the mirrors up i used the power that goes to the folding motor. to get to the power leads you have to remove the cover that sits over the motor once this is done you can than connect the mirror to motor feed wires, this was the tricky bit, so when the ignition is on the mirrors are heated all the time, and they do get quite hot not sure how long they would last? being on all the time, my next plan is to use a timer relay so when the ignition is on the timer will supply power (at the switch in the car) for abouts 10 mins then switch off, this does mean that you cant fold them in when the timer has cut the power, so a push but could be used to reactivate the timer or as i have done use the car alarm to power a relay to fold them in when the alarm is on. hopes this helps. regards chris

Chris, couldn't you just send the positive feed to the heated rear screen to the heaters in the mirror? Then they'd only be on when the heated rear screen is on and the mirror heaters would automatically turn off with the heated rear screen's timer.

That's the way I would prefer to do it. That's how most mirrors work AFAIK :)

Early 96 rz tt import,It's got most of the toys like active spoiler and so on.i have been looking for one for ages ,after some .....!! smashed it off,looks like i'll

Have to get a new one over the winter at least it will come in the same colour from japan.

I seen some info on this on supraforums some guy had elec heated and folding mirrors of which one got vandalised, he had a us spec car but apparently only a few J-specs had this function so he had to import a new mirror. I wish i could find the post.

Chris, couldn't you just send the positive feed to the heated rear screen to the heaters in the mirror? Then they'd only be on when the heated rear screen is on and the mirror heaters would automatically turn off with the heated rear screen's timer.

yes that be a better way, but as i said in my first post i am using the power that feeds the folding motor to feed the heater as well, bearing in mind that i have not added any extra wiring for the mirror heaters, if i had put in extra wiring then thats the way i would have done it.

I was posting what i had done to say it is possible and to give people ideas to try.

i can do it the way you described but adds slight complication for me without adding anymore wiring to the door mirror, it could work something like this, turn on ignition a 5 to 10 second timer works sending power the mirror to unfold them then turn off, then when the heated rear window is put on it could also send power to the mirror motor and heater, care would have to be taken doing this way as there are only two wires that make the mirrors fold in and out and there polarity is revearsed by the switch.