The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just changed PS pump. Problem persists..

bodilx6

I had a PS pump screeching a lot when starting cold. Not when it was under load, just @ idle. It would dissappear when it warmed up.

I purchased a cheap used one, replaced the old one and have exactly the same problem.

Am I just unlucky or could I have another issue?

It is not the cranck pulley, did the tippex test and it is clear that the screeching comes from the PS pump or very very close to it.

Also, should I worry about running it until getting it fixed? If it is running without symptoms when hot, I'm guessing (hoping) the problem isn't too bad as I'm going to the nürburging in a few weeks time...

Again, I'm not having any sounds when it pump is under load, i.e. turning the wheel.

Some auxiliary belt makes are noisy. My supplier changed brands and I had to get them from somewhere else as the ones he was supplying did this. If it is another noisy pump you could send me one to rebuild. New bearings and seals, new rotor assembly and a full clean and check over is £150.

The belt is a new toyota belt. It *could* be the belt if the sound it makes comes from the PS pump area. I will check with a stethoscope soon. That, I'm guessing, will tell me if the sound is from the pump itself.

I'm thinking about sendind it over to you, Chris, but I just found out that it looks like I can get a completly new pump from the US for 300$. I'm awaiting confirmation and delivery times. That would probably be the easiest. Otherwise, I have the old one, I could send to you.

Does it screech when the aircon kicks in? ie putting more load on the aux belt? Have you checked the idler?

The sceeching intensifies when the A/C kicks in. But that just seems to be due to the increase in revs. Just as if I open the throttel a bit. I will try to get a video later.

- but what is the risk of running it? Again, if its sounds perfectly happy after a few minutes..

Well i had exactly the same problem about a half year ago. the screeching went up with the revs, the noise came definitely from the pspump or veryvery close to it. I wanted to change the ps pump so took the auxiliary belt of, then i realized i was not in the mood to do the job. So the next day i just put the auxiliary belt back on and the screeching was gone, not a new belt, just the old one and the car hasn't made the noise since then.

Now am i not a great mechanic? :D

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225959-Ticking-in-front-of-engine-bay[/url]

Here's the link to the thread that i started back then. It's probably just the belt as the problem you describe is exactly what i had going on. Not that you are going to find anything usefull in the thread as the guys only make jokes about it not being fixed the way i did it but it hasn't made the noise anymore :p

Looked at your thread. You describe a "ticking" where I have more of a screech, like "iuu-iuu-iuu-iuu" per revs of the pump pulley. Sounds exactly like a worn belt, but I don't think it is. Mine also stops after a few minutes where yours apparently kept going. I will try and remove the belt, but I did have it off (or rather loosened) when replacing the pump the other day..

Looking for an indication on if it is safe to run the pump... Or maybe that will be clearer if I post a video later today..

Spooky, coming from you, Chris. I hope you are wrong ;-)

- had a 20 mile drive wednesday and started it today. Still good. I hope it will stay that way...

Belt was OEM and new belt is the same manufacturer but not bought at Toyota. That shouldn't make a difference though. Old belt had max 5000 miles on it or so..