The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stolen plates

ardasaliah

Hi had my plates stolen last night. Heard them do it as well didn’t have enough time to give chase as they jumped into a car and speed off. bloody annoying wa~kers.

Just want to know briefly who to contact. Obviously-the police. How about the DVLA?? Just worried ill get blamed for any dodgy dealings that might go on with my cars identity. Speed cameras. Congestion charge, robbery?? etc. I can’t be asked with the admin work to prove that I didn't do the things listened above.

Let me know if I am over reacting.

Cheers

So if you want to speed / congest / rob with impunity you just have to report your number plates stolen. w00t.

If someone wanted to 'clone' you car surely they'd just write down the number and get plates made? Or are the new 'security' features that good?

Seems like a bizarre thing to steal either way.

Originally posted by terribleturner

my point is that you can get a plate made up without producing a v5.

Oh I see.

I guess you can do lots of things illegally, you can't legally buy a number plate without the V5 though.

Originally posted by Jake

Oh I see.

I guess you can do lots of things illegally, you can't legally buy a number plate without the V5 though.

Even though the new legislation is being adhered to by the big retailer like halfords a lot of smaller companies aren't bothered im afraid Jake.

"MOTORSAVE" ( I think a northern only company ) made me a plate on the spot without any questions.Also many signwriters are happy to make a sticker plate up without any V5

You can even buy the reflective backing and relevent numbers from a lot of places without having to provide V5's

Originally posted by Jake

you can't legally buy a number plate without the V5 though.

Originally posted by dude

Yes you can

Not according to the DVLA :

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/numberplates-ni

Any person who carries on a business as a number plate supplier in England or Wales must register with DVLA.

Registered number plate suppliers are required to keep records of all transactions. The intention is so that the supplier can provide records that will include name and address details of the purchaser and verification that proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the vehicle registration mark had been provided