The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket panel filter?

Wipeout

Has there been a comparison test done on any of the replacement panel filters out there?

I was looking to replace the stock filter element with an aftermarket panel filter, what seems to be the best one?

TRD, K&N, Apexi??? (That's all i have found so far)

Are these washable units or do they have to replaced often?

Cheers

:thumbs:

Fit one by all means, but don't expect ANY power gains whatsoever. There is no way ANY modern engine maker would fit a restrictive air filter element, in fact they go overkill to maintain air flow in horribly dusty regions of the world.

What you may well find is a drop in filtering efficiency though, paper element technology has been revised constantly and is no fantastic.

Originally posted by Wipeout

Has there been a comparison test done on any of the replacement panel filters out there?

I was looking to replace the stock filter element with an aftermarket panel filter, what seems to be the best one?

TRD, K&N, Apexi??? (That's all i have found so far)

Are these washable units or do they have to replaced often?

Cheers

:thumbs:

I do K&N washable as I understand that it is the best of the replacements - expensive though:thumbs:

I thought they may be slightly better than stock, but without being poor at filtration, the general opinion seems to be that the stock set-up is good enough for reasonable power, so maybe a washable element could be an option.

Paul, what are the TRD, or Apexi elements like, compared to the K&N.

so whats the score on after market cones... do they make a big difference?? Branners once told me that his blitz just draws in heat from the engine bay anyway. Wheras the stock airfilter has a duct, i suppose the best way is to get an aftermarket cone with cold air box, true? Without the cold air box its rather useless... am i right?

Originally posted by Ray

so whats the score on after market cones... do they make a big difference?? Branners once told me that his blitz just draws in heat from the engine bay anyway. Wheras the stock airfilter has a duct, i suppose the best way is to get an aftermarket cone with cold air box, true? Without the cold air box its rather useless... am i right?

Asking this question is like asking the board who believes in religion ???? theres two sides.

Yes a cone filter will draw in hotter air temps from the engine bay, especially when staionary, but then the engine isnt under full load. When on the move, to how much hotter air is drawn in Im not sure, as you should get a good wall of air hitting the front.

I plan to box mine and get a forced induction headlamp.........

On the plus, they tidy up all that horrible plastic and sound good.....

I'm a great advocate of the standard air box setup for anything under silly BHP and up until recently just went for the paper filters.

Being a cheap git I've now gone for a K&N panel, I'm sure it won't filter quite to the levels of the standard one but it's washable so, broken engine due to ingestion of gravel aside, it works out cheaper in the long run.

As expected there was no noticable power increase and I can't hear any "induction roar" - saying that it's hard to hear anything with a NuR and a Slipnot album fighting each other :)

It's fair to say that some panel filters are terrible at doing their main duty of stopping crap getting into the engine, the HKS and Blitz ones spring to mind initially (I had a HKS panel on my MR2 Turbo and the intake was coated with grime), but the same can be said for cones.

If you worry about your engine stay standard, if you are tight get a washable and if you want some bling and noise while being willing to box it in have a look at cones.

I bought my K&N replacement panel from:

RoadRunner 0115 978 1173

£49.95 + £3.50 P&P all inc VAT.

They get deliveries Fridays and arrived Monday.

I tried the panel filter with the lid off.

You dont get any induction roar as a N/A I assume, although you get loads of whistles.

The shroud should also help to keep the heat back, but if you do this make sure to clip the panel back all the way around with the plastic frame that is provided.

Regards

SV