The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Setting boost with avcr.

Guest jazraymcbeath

Guest jazraymcbeath

Hi I am still having problems with setting the boost on my tt auto using the avcr.

I can set the boost up perfect 3rd and 4th hold a rock sold 18psi.

I switch off the car. Can leave it for 30 mins. go out a drive 15psi. I do get 18psi in 4th though.

I can never get full boost in 1st and 2nd say 13psi in first and 14ish in 2nd.

Anyone have any ideas.

Sounds completely normal. You will always make more boost in higher gears when the engine is under more load, similarly if you are pulling up a hill the boost will be slightly higher. You could adjust the boost controller to make 18psi in first and second gear, but then you'd find it would over boost in higher gears.

Some of the more expensive boost controllers (eg. HKS EVC & Blitz i-Color) allow the boost settings to be mapped against speed and throttle position. These allow you to maximise the boost through all gears. ie. for 1st and 2nd speeds you have one boost setting to achieve 18psi, at higher speeds in higher gears the settings change so it still reaches 18psi.