The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fast road cams for 97 NA supra

gazzi123

Just go to Piper and ask/tell them what you want. They obviously have blanks lets just hope they have enough meet for big lift (12mm+). Failing that Cat Cams make superb cams

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www/product.php?pid=TOY2JZBP270

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Toyota_Supra_24v_Turbo_2JZ-GTE_Engine.html

Cat used to make the Rogue 11.7mm lift 3S-GTE cams (Not all profiles are listed so ask for what you need).

What is a "fast road" cam?

If you mean something that gets you high power but doesn't do it at the expense of crucifying the torque curve, then surely the stock ones probably give the best compromise? if you are looking at the camshafts only, that is.

Presumably a "race" cam gets you higher power but you have to keep the engine on the boil so as not to get yourself bogged down in the low end of your ski-jump shaped power curve.

Edited by Digsy (see edit history)

What is a "fast road" cam?

If you mean something that gets you high power but doesn't do it at the expense of crucifying the torque curve, then surely the stock ones probably give the best compromise? if you are looking at the camshafts only, that is.

Presumably a "race" cam gets you higher power but you have to keep the engine on the boil so as not to get yourself bogged down in the low end of your ski-jump shaped power curve.

A cam thats going to make noticable difference to response/power of the car.

Im just trying to gather as much info as i can to see the best route to take :D

Also another quick question peeps (slightly off topic) if i got a Decat are 02/lamdba sensors needed?

Might sound absolutly stupid to some people - but put it down to 'your more clever than me' lol

The 2 oxygen sensors are located in the stock exhaust manifolds, these are essential for the running of the engine with the stock ECU.

A cam thats going to make noticable difference to response/power of the car.

Im just trying to gather as much info as i can to see the best route to take :D

Well, a noticably better response implies increased torque in the low/mid range, whereas more power is - erm - more power at the top end. Sounds like you want to beef up your torque curve right across the rev range, which is no mean feat. You could change one or the other by altering the cam timing (which is what the VVT verison does) but improving both is a big ask because I believe its been proved that the stock timing is about the best trade off between power and torque (which is what you would expect). I what guess you need as big a cams as possible without increasing the overlap so much that the idle becomes unbearable or your throttle response suffers through reversion of the exhaust gases into the plenum (which you could fix by using port throttles - another big ask).

As to what the practical limits are, probably beter to ask Chris Wilson.

Another approach might be to increase torque by upping the compression ratio and then figuring a way to stop it detting.